Rare candidate for election
SIR - Councillor Ross (letter August 7) should not be surprised at the front page coverage given to Peter Groves candidacy, after all as a candidate for the town council election he is a very rare bird, not seen in these parts for three years. All six p
SIR - Councillor Ross (letter August 7) should not be surprised at the front page coverage given to Peter Groves' candidacy, after all as a candidate for the town council election he is a very rare bird, not seen in these parts for three years.
All six previous councillor vacancies were filled by co-option, an undemocratic process, often called "the Old Boys' Network".
If, despite his stated love of democracy, Cllr Ross would like to save us the cost of election, then let him co-opt Mr Groves, though Cllr Ross might see this as inviting the cuckoo into his nest.
The rest of his letter is pure Cloud Cuckoo Land, where democratic elections are not worth £10,000 but a chain with armorial achievement is budgeted at the same price. Where, despite the HELP campaign's democratically obtained mandate to eliminate the council, he sees only some disturbance of his well-feathered nest.
You may also want to watch:
In his Cloud Cuckoo Land our total silence on the standing and role of the Heritage Foundation is declared by Cllr Ross to be support, and though he knows what HELP stands for, he prefers his flights of fancy to the hard facts.
- 1 Lasting tribute to schoolgirl after tragic death
- 2 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 3 'Fight for what is yours' - Alyssa Smith Jewellery's message following High Court win
- 4 Crowds flock to Hitchin for Bucklersbury and Sun Street Day
- 5 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 6 Stevenage happy with performance and result against 10-man Crystal Palace
- 7 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 8 £50 supermarket vouchers available to help families entitled to free school meals
- 9 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 10 Stevenage unveil Amazon's Prime Gaming as new sponsors on new kit
SIR - Mr Ross praises the democratic process, but objects when it is used against him and his colleagues.
If he is so concerned at the cost of the by-election in Letchworth South East Ward, his solution is simple; he need put up no rival candidate, so that my candidature is unopposed.