Questions need to be answered
Ever since the proposed plans for the Baldock bypass were submitted for scrutiny it was plainly obvious that a northerly route would be the most favourable and effective with regard to solving Baldock s traffic congestion. The chosen route was obviously g
Ever since the proposed plans for the Baldock bypass were submitted for scrutiny it was plainly obvious that a northerly route would be the most favourable and effective with regard to solving Baldock's traffic congestion.
The chosen route was obviously going to cause severe congestion at the A1/Letchworth Gate interchange. The following points warrant further serious consideration and answers from those involved in the planning department.
* Why is it that the public could see this from the start yet the powers-that-be were oblivious to the fact?
* Why was the northern end of the A1 motorway redeveloped with an excellent service station and new roundabout? Surely in anticipation of the northerly bypass route joining the A1 there.
You may also want to watch:
* Why was the northern route not utilised when it would have been shorter and far less expensive to engineer, as apart from the railway bridge, the earth-works would have been simpler to address, plus there would have been no need for an expensive tunnel through the Weston Hills?
* Why, when east/west traffic would have conveniently connected with the Stotfold bypass was the southern route chosen?
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
* Why when the northern route's line would have convinced most drivers even those travelling east-south to use it, was the southern route chosen? Traffic travelling east-north most certainly will still go through Baldock town centre, as will any north-east vehicles and those having called at the service station.
* Who owns the land across which the northerly route would have traversed?
The answers to these questions may prove quite interesting! Particularly the last one!
BARRIE C WOODS, Eastern Way, Letchworth GC