Protesters fight Luton invasion
THOUSANDS of people who objected to a plan by neighbouring councils to build on countryside in North Hertfordshire will have to wait for a response to their concerns after the long-awaited announcement was delayed. The response, by councillors on the Lut
THOUSANDS of people who objected to a plan by neighbouring councils to build on countryside in North Hertfordshire will have to wait for a response to their concerns after the long-awaited announcement was delayed.
The response, by councillors on the Luton and South Beds planning committee who propose to build 5,500 homes and a Luton bypass on Green Belt land in the Lilley valley, was due tomorrow (Friday) but will now not happen until October 23.
A spokesman for Luton Borough Council said it was decided to cancel the meeting because more time was needed to prepare a report.
North Herts District Council, which is opposed to the plan which would enable the neighbouring councils to meet their government housing targets outside their borders, estimates 7,500 objections were sent during a consultation period on the plans earlier this year.
You may also want to watch:
David Barnard, NHDC southern rural committee chairman, estimates the figure is nearer 9,000 and the process has been delayed because the rest of these responses have only now been discovered.
When asked about this, the joint committee failed to respond.
- 1 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 2 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 8 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation