Pottery studio to close
I was surprised and shocked to hear that the pottery and other art studios at Stevenage Leisure Centre are to be closed at the beginning of April. I understand that this is because of a cut in funding from the borough council. This seems to have happened
I was surprised and shocked to hear that the pottery and other art studios at Stevenage Leisure Centre are to be closed at the beginning of April.
I understand that this is because of a cut in funding from the borough council.
This seems to have happened with no consultation or publicity.
The pottery studio in particular is a unique community facility, and if closed, would be expensive and difficult to replace and re-equip.
You may also want to watch:
For over 30 years, children's and adult classes have been run at the leisure centre. Many people have gained a lifelong interest in pottery and sculpture from attending these classes.
For me and others attending the Leisure 50 pottery classes, this will be a great loss, but it is also a loss to the cultural life of the town. The Leisure Centre has been a cultural centre for the town since its inception. It would be a great shame if it were to become solely a sports centre.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 2 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 3 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 4 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 5 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 6 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
- 7 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 Arlesey school recognised with prestigious inclusion award
- 10 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
MARILYN DODDS, Cromwell Road, Stevenage