Pottery studio to close
I was surprised and shocked to hear that the pottery and other art studios at Stevenage Leisure Centre are to be closed at the beginning of April. I understand that this is because of a cut in funding from the borough council. This seems to have happened
I was surprised and shocked to hear that the pottery and other art studios at Stevenage Leisure Centre are to be closed at the beginning of April.
I understand that this is because of a cut in funding from the borough council.
This seems to have happened with no consultation or publicity.
The pottery studio in particular is a unique community facility, and if closed, would be expensive and difficult to replace and re-equip.
For over 30 years, children's and adult classes have been run at the leisure centre. Many people have gained a lifelong interest in pottery and sculpture from attending these classes.
For me and others attending the Leisure 50 pottery classes, this will be a great loss, but it is also a loss to the cultural life of the town. The Leisure Centre has been a cultural centre for the town since its inception. It would be a great shame if it were to become solely a sports centre.
- 1 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 2 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 James Bay announces intimate ‘New Songs New Stories’ solo tour for Independent Venue Week
- 8 Enter Shikari to play Club 85 gig in Hitchin as part of The National Lottery’s Revive Live Tour
- 9 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 10 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist
MARILYN DODDS, Cromwell Road, Stevenage