Postal Service Directive
SIR – I read with interest about the fantastic efforts to save St Ippolyts and Whitwell Post Offices. Your readers should be made aware that there is a Postal Services Directive making its way through the EU legislative process at present that seeks to
SIR - I read with interest about the fantastic efforts to save St Ippolyts and Whitwell Post Offices.
Your readers should be made aware that there is a 'Postal Services Directive' making its way through the EU legislative process at present that seeks to commercialise postal services. Lib Dem, Labour and Tory MEPs have all voted for it. The Directive will lead to more and more post office closures because it prevents governments subsidising any that are a public service but not making much money.
Green Party Euro-MPs have voted against this deeply troubling Directive.
It is unfortunate, to say the least, that the other parties, though locally they say they are against post office closures, have national and international policies that point in precisely the opposite direction. It is MPs and MEPs from the three old parties who are taking the very actions that are making post office closures in Britain more commonplace.
You may also want to watch:
There also looms the spectre of a privatised Royal Mail. In the long term this would spell the end of Britain's public postal service, in favour of a cut-throat market in which local post offices would continue to go to the wall, as would the crucial benchmark (for having a genuinely public postal service) of one price for a stamp for a letter to anywhere in Britain.
The only party which can be trusted not to close local post offices is the Green Party because we actually believe in local services. .
- 1 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 2 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 3 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 4 What you need to know about the changing divorce laws
- 5 Medical spa at the front of breaking down taboos about cosmetic treatments opens in Stevenage
- 6 Darcie's Wish fundraising back on track after 18 months
- 7 CCTV appeal after distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 8 Youths to be questioned by police in connection with fountain foam
- 9 Have your say on future of Stevenage High Street
- 10 Woman suffers cuts and bruises in pub glassing
Green Party candidate for
Eastern region in 2009