Plans for a museum
SIR – Further to the article Fears for future of museum in The Comet on March 5, North Herts District Council has at least set aside �3.5m and is to commence feasibility studies. Perhaps there will include all possible options, how suitable is the town
SIR - Further to the article 'Fears for future of museum' in The Comet on March 5, North Herts District Council has at least set aside �3.5m and is to commence feasibility studies. Perhaps there will include all possible options, how suitable is the town hall?
The council clearly favours moving the Hitchin museum into the gymnasium and workmen's hall, part of the building which should leave the main hall together with the Lucas Room for community activities. If so, then the present building could be retained for museum use with public access to house the research centre which needs to be moved from Burymead Road. The Physic Garden could then remain where it is.
Other alternatives include enlarging the museum either by an extension or engaging in talks with the Herts County Council to relocate the library.
Every town centre should include a museum and now that the closure of the Letchworth council-run museum has been delayed for two years; there is still time to achieve this. It will require co-operation from the three local authorities to make such a provision of which the Heritage Foundation could be the driving force. The executive committee of the Arts Council will continue to monitor the situation mainly because of the valuable exhibition space. The views expressed in this letter are mine and not to be attributed to the committee.
You may also want to watch:
BRIAN J FOREMAN
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 5 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 8 Do you recognise these people?
- 9 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village
- 10 Have your say on parking restriction plans
Arts Council for North Hertfordshire