Plans for a museum
SIR – Further to the article Fears for future of museum in The Comet on March 5, North Herts District Council has at least set aside �3.5m and is to commence feasibility studies. Perhaps there will include all possible options, how suitable is the town
SIR - Further to the article 'Fears for future of museum' in The Comet on March 5, North Herts District Council has at least set aside �3.5m and is to commence feasibility studies. Perhaps there will include all possible options, how suitable is the town hall?
The council clearly favours moving the Hitchin museum into the gymnasium and workmen's hall, part of the building which should leave the main hall together with the Lucas Room for community activities. If so, then the present building could be retained for museum use with public access to house the research centre which needs to be moved from Burymead Road. The Physic Garden could then remain where it is.
Other alternatives include enlarging the museum either by an extension or engaging in talks with the Herts County Council to relocate the library.
Every town centre should include a museum and now that the closure of the Letchworth council-run museum has been delayed for two years; there is still time to achieve this. It will require co-operation from the three local authorities to make such a provision of which the Heritage Foundation could be the driving force. The executive committee of the Arts Council will continue to monitor the situation mainly because of the valuable exhibition space. The views expressed in this letter are mine and not to be attributed to the committee.
You may also want to watch:
BRIAN J FOREMAN
- 1 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 2 Body found in search for missing woman
- 3 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 4 Government curbs council's powers to block new homes
- 5 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 6 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 7 See inside this beautiful Edwardian property fit for a multi-millionaire
- 8 COVID-19 cases continue to plummet in Stevenage and North Herts
- 9 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 10 Historic school to close at end of academic year
Arts Council for North Hertfordshire