Well done to The Comet for again highlighting the real concerns that Hitchin residents have about the development of our town centre. Your headline Destruction (The Comet March 16) says it all. There does not appear to be any planning involved in ensuring
Well done to The Comet for again highlighting the real concerns that Hitchin residents have about the development of our town centre. Your headline Destruction (The Comet March 16) says it all. There does not appear to be any planning involved in ensuring that as the town develops it maintains the very important aspects that attract so many people towards it - including opportunist developers!
Hitchin town is being over-developed. I counted 14 developments that have been built, are in process of being built and those that are planned to be built. The latest is the demolition of the old Methodist Nursing Home in Elmside Walk, and a modern block of flats built there instead.
I agree with the recommendation of the Built Environment Advisory and Management Service, for the protection of buildings that are not listed or in a conservation area but are still of great importance.
Keep up the good work Comet, let us develop Hitchin, but please do not destroy out town in the process. Let us leave something of the old Hitchin for future generations to enjoy, as we have been able to.
You may also want to watch:
BRENDAN SALISBURY, Offley Road, Hitchin
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 4 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 5 Stevenage unveil Amazon's Prime Gaming as new sponsors on new kit
- 6 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 7 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 8 Tributes after Stevenage Forum co-founder dies
- 9 Girl reportedly touched by man while walking home from school
- 10 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer