Peace during roadworks
SIR - So your anonymous car driver objects to the gas pipe replacement works in Todd s Green. As he says, there are usually thousands of cars, vans and lorries driving through our little village every morning and evening. He does not like the dual carriag
SIR - So your anonymous car driver objects to the gas pipe replacement works in Todd's Green. As he says, there are usually thousands of cars, vans and lorries driving through our little village every morning and evening. He does not like the dual carriageway which was built at vast expense for people like him, he would rather use little country lanes.
I would like to remind him that the link road to the industrial estate is a recent addition. Before then, the road ran through Fishers Green to Old Stevenage, in those days the odd car was something of interest, not the continuous stream of impatient drivers, many with loud radios, which we suffer from now.
My house was built about 150 years ago and was intended to withstand the vibration from the odd passing horse and cart, not what we get now from huge articulated lorries which rattle our windows.
For us, the song of the pneumatic drill is peace and tranquillity. I also ask for anonymity to avoid the chorus of triumphant hooting which will follow the reopening!
You may also want to watch:
NAME AND ADDRESS
- 1 Taser video: Officer's actions which left man with injuries 'deemed appropriate'
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 History buffs celebrate town's historic buildings
- 4 Walk-in and booster vaccine slots available this week
- 5 'Important milestone' reached in building of John Barker Place
- 6 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 7 Stevenage's annual fireworks display returns on Bonfire Night - November 5
- 8 Hitchin's Repair Café wants you!
- 9 Council approves new measures to get to net zero by 2030
- 10 As sewage saga continues, how did our MPs vote?