Off the rails on buses
Is it possible for our new train company, First Capital Connect, to lose its passengers in transit? Their train drivers are highly experienced and know the road but as a frequent rail traveller myself, late at night or at weekends, you are often liable to
Is it possible for our new train company, First Capital Connect, to lose its passengers in transit? Their train drivers are highly experienced and know the road but as a frequent rail traveller myself, late at night or at weekends, you are often liable to be turfed off the train and shepherded onto a bus or coach, while rail engineering work takes place between stations.
Your bus driver can be someone drafted in from afar, with only minimal road knowledge of North Herts, Bedfordshire and Cambridge. The early hours of Sunday morning prompted my opening question.
At 1.50am I was rudely woken by the sound of a large vehicle, diesel revving loudly, in my quiet, residential street, Lancaster Road, Hitchin. The street is full of parked cars either side, but to my amazement, gingerly reversing backwards, trying to avoid an expensive body swipe, is a huge double-deck bus, lighting up the locality like an ocean liner.
Odd, I thought, Lancaster Road has never been on a bus route and certainly not at this ungodly hour. The rail replacement bus is full of well, you would not say late-night party revellers enjoying themselves, but anxious, bemused and tired passengers, faces pressed to the windows wondering where on earth their clueless driver has transported them. It seemed he was either lost or had taken a wrong turn and having got stuck at a dead end junction, then had to reverse a quarter of a mile back to Bedford Road and try again for Cambridge or Peterborough. I pitied those poor rail passengers; they would have lost a lot of sleep that night. So did I, two hours in fact, and the following morning I went on the Internet to email First Capital Connect to complain. I should have known better. My computer told me the FCC site could not be found.
You may also want to watch:
First (worst?) Capital Connect, lost in the night and still missing in daylight!
ROGER CARVELL, Lancaster Road, Hitchin
- 1 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 4 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 5 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 6 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'
- 9 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 10 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system