Not the ticket
Not content with increasing our local taxes, local authorities have created other methods of generating revenue, including parking penalties. In April, I visited the Hitchin swimming pool with my family and when I returned to the car noticed a parking tic
Not content with increasing our local taxes, local authorities have created other methods of generating revenue, including parking penalties.
In April, I visited the Hitchin swimming pool with my family and when I returned to the car noticed a parking ticket on the window.
Having not visited this pool for over a year I did not realise they had introduced pay and display. Having contacted the leisure centre I was informed by a member of staff that the reason parking charges were introduced was to deter people who were not using the leisure facilities from parking there.
I was also informed that the parking fee was refunded to those using the facilities when handing in the receipt. I appealed against the penalty and had the appeal rejected despite having submitted as proof, a copy of the receipt of my visit with the family to the swimming pool.
You may also want to watch:
I am sure I am not the only person who is fed up with the way these penalties are issued with the fine being doubled if not paid within 14 days leaving no room for appeal. In any case how can you possibly justify a fine of £30 doubling to £60 for parking in a public facility car park?
TREVOR COLE, Address supplied
- 1 Council tax to rise in county after 'extraordinary' year
- 2 Seven things that are gone but not forgotten in Stevenage
- 3 No jab, no job COVID-19 policy rolled out at care homes
- 4 Huge maturity from Stevenage's on-loan Chelsea man Jamie Cumming as he deals with 'the life of a keeper'
- 5 Gardens and dinosaur trail reopening at weekends at Knebworth House
- 6 Green light for 40-bed homeless shelter in Letchworth
- 7 Rewind: A mysterious corner shop killing that shaped the future of British policing
- 8 New mass COVID-19 vaccine centre opens in Letchworth
- 9 GP surgery outstrips mass vaccination centre's COVID-19 jab rate
- 10 Teenager charged with assisting offenders after Stevenage man's death