Not fair on circus animals
SIR - The Captive Animals Protection Society (CAPS) is asking the people of Hertfordshire to boycott the Bobby Roberts Circus which is currently in Hitchin. Animals do not belong in a circus. The constant transportation from town to town for 10 months ea
SIR - The Captive Animals' Protection Society (CAPS) is asking the people of Hertfordshire to boycott the Bobby Roberts Circus which is currently in Hitchin.
Animals do not belong in a circus. The constant transportation from town to town for 10 months each year and confinement for long periods means that a travelling circus can never meet all of the needs of these animals, whether lion or horse.
Claims by circuses that animals are stimulated by performances are false. In fact, the same tricks are generally repeated for years.
Animals are trained away from the scrutiny of the public, politicians or welfare groups. Undercover investigations at circuses in the UK have revealed animals beaten with sticks, bars and whips and sick animals hidden from the RSPCA.
There is no educational value in seeing these once proud animals reduced to performing tricks in an unnatural environment. Circuses teach a lack of respect for animals.
CAPS is not opposed to circuses, only to the use of animals, and we encourage people to avoid animal circuses and instead visit one of the many excellent shows that rely entirely on human skills.
- 1 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 2 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 3 Will housing expand into Green Belt land near Hitchin?
- 4 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 5 New housing to meet high demand in Stevenage
- 6 Pick up your new look Comet every Thursday
- 7 Closure order granted for Hitchin flat after anti-social behaviour
- 8 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 9 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 10 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
We also ask people to write to their MP, asking them to encourage the government to ban the use of animals in circuses.
Circuses yes, Animals no.
For more information on circuses visit www.captiveanimals.org.
P O Box 4186