Not fair on circus animals
SIR - The Captive Animals Protection Society (CAPS) is asking the people of Hertfordshire to boycott the Bobby Roberts Circus which is currently in Hitchin. Animals do not belong in a circus. The constant transportation from town to town for 10 months ea
SIR - The Captive Animals' Protection Society (CAPS) is asking the people of Hertfordshire to boycott the Bobby Roberts Circus which is currently in Hitchin.
Animals do not belong in a circus. The constant transportation from town to town for 10 months each year and confinement for long periods means that a travelling circus can never meet all of the needs of these animals, whether lion or horse.
Claims by circuses that animals are stimulated by performances are false. In fact, the same tricks are generally repeated for years.
Animals are trained away from the scrutiny of the public, politicians or welfare groups. Undercover investigations at circuses in the UK have revealed animals beaten with sticks, bars and whips and sick animals hidden from the RSPCA.
You may also want to watch:
There is no educational value in seeing these once proud animals reduced to performing tricks in an unnatural environment. Circuses teach a lack of respect for animals.
CAPS is not opposed to circuses, only to the use of animals, and we encourage people to avoid animal circuses and instead visit one of the many excellent shows that rely entirely on human skills.
- 1 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 2 Medical spa at the front of breaking down taboos about cosmetic treatments opens in Stevenage
- 3 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 4 CCTV appeal after distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 5 Have your say on future of Stevenage High Street
- 6 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 7 Youths to be questioned by police in connection with fountain foam
- 8 What you need to know about the changing divorce laws
- 9 Darcie's Wish fundraising back on track after 18 months
- 10 Woman suffers cuts and bruises in pub glassing
We also ask people to write to their MP, asking them to encourage the government to ban the use of animals in circuses.
Circuses yes, Animals no.
For more information on circuses visit www.captiveanimals.org.
P O Box 4186