Not a normal request by Jack
Jack Straw and Muslim women I cannot agree with Andrew Laird (Comet letters, October 12) that it is a perfectly normal request to ask a lady to remove her veil. I consider it rather the height of discourtesy, unless there is a compelling reason. Jack Stra
Jack Straw and Muslim women
I cannot agree with Andrew Laird (Comet letters, October 12) that it is a perfectly normal request to ask a lady to remove her veil. I consider it rather the height of discourtesy, unless there is a compelling reason.
Jack Straw's compelling reason is that he wished to see the facial expressions of the constituents he interviews. This does not seem very compelling to me. Also, Jack Straw applies his compelling reason only in select cases. If he were consistent, he would also ask his constituents:
* To remove dark glasses.
You may also want to watch:
* Ladies to remove copious layers of make up.
* George Bernard Shaw to remove his whiskers.
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 6 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 Have your say on parking restriction plans
If a constituent wishes to speak to him on the telephone, Jack Straw must refuse to speak to them because he cannot see their facial expressions.
It is no wonder then that my Muslim friends, seeing what has happened in France, see this as an attack on religious values.
Mr Straw says that he is wishing to promote a debate. This is no excuse for being rude and impolite. It is also not a very clever way to get an intelligent debate on the issue.
ANDREW SURRY, Trevor Road, Hitchin