North Hertfordshire Homes supports Box Cleva Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
Box Cleva Letchworth will be running until December thanks to North Hertfordshire Homes funding.
The donation means that following the summer break, children between seven and 15 years could continue to attend the energetic classes that provide discipline and confidence in a fun way.
At nine years old, Lily is the longest attending student at the sessions which use the hall in Garden City Academy school as their gym.
Lily’s mum said: “Lily’s been boxing since it started here in 2011 and there’s no sign of her giving up. At a recent parents evening, the school said they thought she was more focussed in her classes and I think boxing has had an effect on her concentration.”
Classes are run by Tony Dungan and Jamie Stanley, both registered coaches with the Amateur Boxing Association of England. Tony said: “The kids come from a range of backgrounds and circumstances and are referred to us by Box Cleva founder Bob Williams. Some of the kids may have been suggested to him by the police, schools or other agencies such as North Hertfordshire Homes’ Anti-Social Behaviour team. We are fun, positive role models that give them care and attention. Some may not have had that before.”
You may also want to watch:
Nicola Pearson, North Hertfordshire Homes neighbourhood development officer, said: “We find if children have a healthy outlet for their energies, they are less likely to get up to mischief at home or in the community. The Box Cleva sessions are a good combination of energetic fun and focus.”
- 1 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 4 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 5 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 6 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'
- 9 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 10 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system