North Hertfordshire Homes supports Box Cleva Letchworth
- Credit: Archant
Box Cleva Letchworth will be running until December thanks to North Hertfordshire Homes funding.
The donation means that following the summer break, children between seven and 15 years could continue to attend the energetic classes that provide discipline and confidence in a fun way.
At nine years old, Lily is the longest attending student at the sessions which use the hall in Garden City Academy school as their gym.
Lily’s mum said: “Lily’s been boxing since it started here in 2011 and there’s no sign of her giving up. At a recent parents evening, the school said they thought she was more focussed in her classes and I think boxing has had an effect on her concentration.”
Classes are run by Tony Dungan and Jamie Stanley, both registered coaches with the Amateur Boxing Association of England. Tony said: “The kids come from a range of backgrounds and circumstances and are referred to us by Box Cleva founder Bob Williams. Some of the kids may have been suggested to him by the police, schools or other agencies such as North Hertfordshire Homes’ Anti-Social Behaviour team. We are fun, positive role models that give them care and attention. Some may not have had that before.”
You may also want to watch:
Nicola Pearson, North Hertfordshire Homes neighbourhood development officer, said: “We find if children have a healthy outlet for their energies, they are less likely to get up to mischief at home or in the community. The Box Cleva sessions are a good combination of energetic fun and focus.”
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 3 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 4 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 'COVID can't stop us!' - Zimbabwe school fees raised with garden party after Stevenage Day cancelled
- 7 H-Town Almost Unlocked to celebrate 'eclectic mix' of Hitchin retailers
- 8 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 9 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 10 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award