North Hertfordshire Homes sponsors school buddy system
- Credit: Archant
The Garden City Academy school in Letchworth is promoting positive role models within its Year 6 pupils by encouraging children to be good buddies to each other.
School Buddies will earn a cap of recognition, sponsored by housing association North Hertfordshire Homes, by making play and lunchtimes happier and safer for younger children; supporting them with games; picking up children who fall over and tidying up at the end of play.
Nicola Pearson, neighbourhood development officer at North Hertfordshire Homes, said: “Good neighbour behaviour is an admirable quality at any stage of life and helping children to be considerate of each other from a young age is to be encouraged.”
Teacher, Mrs Tracey Newton announced the arrival of the new headwear saying: “These caps highlight the responsibility you have out there as role models offering support to others.”
When Mrs Newton asked what kind of examples the pupils could think of, Shardea (10 years) said: “Looking out for other people in the playground.”
You may also want to watch:
Clearly Shardea already does as she says because Mrs Newton awarded the first cap to her. Sade said: “I’m really happy. I think I got it because I play with the little kids outside.”
At the end of the school year all Year 6 students are likely to have a Buddy cap which they can wear proudly on their end of year trip to the Isle of Wight.
- 1 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 2 Body found in search for missing woman
- 3 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 4 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 5 Government curbs council's powers to block new homes
- 6 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 7 See inside this beautiful Edwardian property fit for a multi-millionaire
- 8 Professional artist born out of school lockdown project
- 9 Missing Stevenage teen found
- 10 Historic school to close at end of academic year