North Hertfordshire Homes sponsors school buddy system
- Credit: Archant
The Garden City Academy school in Letchworth is promoting positive role models within its Year 6 pupils by encouraging children to be good buddies to each other.
School Buddies will earn a cap of recognition, sponsored by housing association North Hertfordshire Homes, by making play and lunchtimes happier and safer for younger children; supporting them with games; picking up children who fall over and tidying up at the end of play.
Nicola Pearson, neighbourhood development officer at North Hertfordshire Homes, said: “Good neighbour behaviour is an admirable quality at any stage of life and helping children to be considerate of each other from a young age is to be encouraged.”
Teacher, Mrs Tracey Newton announced the arrival of the new headwear saying: “These caps highlight the responsibility you have out there as role models offering support to others.”
When Mrs Newton asked what kind of examples the pupils could think of, Shardea (10 years) said: “Looking out for other people in the playground.”
You may also want to watch:
Clearly Shardea already does as she says because Mrs Newton awarded the first cap to her. Sade said: “I’m really happy. I think I got it because I play with the little kids outside.”
At the end of the school year all Year 6 students are likely to have a Buddy cap which they can wear proudly on their end of year trip to the Isle of Wight.
- 1 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 2 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 3 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 4 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 5 Custodial sentence 'sends strong message' to those carrying knives
- 6 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 7 Hitchin Beer and Cider Festival in pictures
- 8 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 9 Hospice volunteers mark Churchgate Day on the catwalk with vintage fashion show
- 10 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony