No way to run an entire district
SIR – Regarding deferral of the plan for Hitchin museum (Comet letters, November 26), I can understand the anxiety and concerns that the Hitchin townsfolk have over the museum and town hall plans as I have experienced two similar changes. One in Hertford
SIR - Regarding deferral of the plan for Hitchin museum (Comet letters, November 26), I can understand the anxiety and concerns that the Hitchin townsfolk have over the museum and town hall plans as I have experienced two similar changes. One in Hertford where the Corn Exchange is now being run as a private venture, but where I enjoyed a night out only last weekend in the form of a comedy club. And the other is the Drill Hall in Ware which is now being run by a group of volunteers. Both halls, as it were, were a cost cutting exercise by both councils involved, brought on mainly by bad management, or lack of, I should say.
During the changeover lots of groups were displaced and of course initially there was lots of protests both at meetings, letters to councillors, MP's, letters in the local paper etc. However, all groups have now found new, and dare I say better homes. Perhaps a school or church hall could benefit from a regular hire fee? However, don't bother protesting as the councillors of the North Herts District Council (NHDC) have already made their decision otherwise they would not have meetings behind closed doors.
But what worries me the most is, if the councillors of the NHDC cannot run a town hall effectively and economically, how on earth do they run an entire district?
EDWARD JOHN SELBY
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Teenager charged with assisting offenders after Stevenage man's death
- 2 GP surgery outstrips mass vaccination centre's COVID-19 jab rate
- 3 Stevenage road closed after crash
- 4 We must 'learn to live with COVID' as county takes first steps towards end of lockdown
- 5 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 6 Free trees to be offered to North Herts residents for 'urban forest' plans
- 7 Petition call over council's 'costly bulky waste collection service that encourages fly-tipping'
- 8 Police station evacuated after explosive device handed in
- 9 Have your say on what's next for North Herts Sanctuary building
- 10 Council leader reacts to recent stabbings in Stevenage