No way to run an entire district
SIR – Regarding deferral of the plan for Hitchin museum (Comet letters, November 26), I can understand the anxiety and concerns that the Hitchin townsfolk have over the museum and town hall plans as I have experienced two similar changes. One in Hertford
SIR - Regarding deferral of the plan for Hitchin museum (Comet letters, November 26), I can understand the anxiety and concerns that the Hitchin townsfolk have over the museum and town hall plans as I have experienced two similar changes. One in Hertford where the Corn Exchange is now being run as a private venture, but where I enjoyed a night out only last weekend in the form of a comedy club. And the other is the Drill Hall in Ware which is now being run by a group of volunteers. Both halls, as it were, were a cost cutting exercise by both councils involved, brought on mainly by bad management, or lack of, I should say.
During the changeover lots of groups were displaced and of course initially there was lots of protests both at meetings, letters to councillors, MP's, letters in the local paper etc. However, all groups have now found new, and dare I say better homes. Perhaps a school or church hall could benefit from a regular hire fee? However, don't bother protesting as the councillors of the North Herts District Council (NHDC) have already made their decision otherwise they would not have meetings behind closed doors.
But what worries me the most is, if the councillors of the NHDC cannot run a town hall effectively and economically, how on earth do they run an entire district?
EDWARD JOHN SELBY
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 4 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 5 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 7 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising
- 8 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 9 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation