No victory over gipsy site
SIR – Stotfold district councillors are suggesting a victory has been won over the proposed gipsy and traveller site off Baldock Road in Stotfold. Sorry, what victory? Has the proposed site been turned down? No. Do we know how many extra sites may be prop
SIR - Stotfold district councillors are suggesting a victory has been won over the proposed gipsy and traveller site off Baldock Road in Stotfold. Sorry, what victory?
Has the proposed site been turned down? No.
Do we know how many extra sites may be proposed for Stotfold in the new plan? No.
A total of 1,500 voters and taxpayers from Stotfold sent in legitimate objections to this proposed site. What has Mid Beds District Council (MBDC) done? Ignored us and deferred the decision to the new unitary authority.
You may also want to watch:
It would be cynical to suggest that there are two reasons for this:
1. There will be elections in the early summer to the new unitary authority; presumably no-one wanted to be seen to be ignoring voters' views before the election.
- 1 Body found in search for missing woman
- 2 Woman named after pleading guilty to fly-tipping offence
- 3 Movies announced for drive-in cinema's return to Knebworth
- 4 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 5 Good Samaritan becomes victim of attempted robbery in Stevenage
- 6 Government curbs council's powers to block new homes
- 7 Professional artist born out of school lockdown project
- 8 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 9 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 10 See inside this beautiful Edwardian property fit for a multi-millionaire
2. They hoped the anger and protest organisation would disappear if they delayed matters.
Like many people, I am increasingly tired of the arrogant disregard for local democracy displayed by the MBDC hierarchy and its paid officials, particularly in the planning department.
It is up to all of us to try to see that we get the quality of local government we deserve - and pay for.