No to Post Office move
Your letters supporting our campaign to stop the move of Letchworth Post Office have come flooding in to The Comet office. Please keep all your letters of protest coming in and we will present them to Post Office officials showing the depth of feeling ove
Your letters supporting our campaign to stop the move of Letchworth Post Office have come flooding in to The Comet office. Please keep all your letters of protest coming in and we will present them to Post Office officials showing the depth of feeling over the issue. Letters can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to The Comet, Bank House, Primett Road, Stevenage SG1 3EE.
I would like to register my protest of the closure of Letchworth Garden City Post Office.
Although I no longer live in the town, my mother was born in Letchworth and at the age of 91 still lives in the Garden City of which she is very proud. She was co-owner of a business in Leys Avenue with my father for many years and her father owned it before them.
She makes regular trips to the post office and always tells me she has had to queue despite seven cashiers working. The move of the post office to McColl's in Station Road would make it impossible for her to maintain this independence and she would have to rely on a friend. I am sure there will not be space in a store for seven cashiers and therefore the queue would be even longer.
You may also want to watch:
* There are always long queues at the post office so how will they cope in a little shop, also what about the elderly who catch the bus which stops outside the post office and it is a long walk for them to go where the new one will be. They seem to be making plans for the redevelopment and I did not think this had been passed yet.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies after crash near Hitchin
- 2 Hitchin teenager convicted of raping three young people
- 3 Prime Minister Boris Johnson opens Airbus' new £35 million facility
- 4 Woman suffers facial injuries in pub assault
- 5 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 6 Treble for Codi Lee-Spavins and three points for Stotfold in victory over Letchworth
- 7 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 Arlesey school recognised with prestigious inclusion award
- 10 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
* Thank you for launching a campaign opposing plans to close our centre post office and for publicising the Foundation's opposition to the proposal, we strongly support your campaign.
ALAN and ANGELA SCOULLER
* I am writing to add my voice to the opposition to close the Central Post Office in Letchworth. The founders of Letchworth Garden City got many things right, one of which was the site of the post office as an amenity and service to the community of the town.
Relocating the post office is wrong on functional grounds and is also indicative of the collapse of a respectful ethos of service.
Later generations had the sensible idea of siting a very convenient bus stop next to the post office.
I use the post office at least once a week and it always has customers and usually a long queue of patient locals. In a smaller building OAPs and mothers with children will inevitably have to queue outside.
* As a resident and businessman of Letchworth Garden City, I use the central post office facility at least once a week, for various transactions. I always have to queue for service, sometimes as long as 15 minutes, when the line of some 30 or 40 people snake out to the door.
Admittedly I have not seen the planned layout of McColl's shop to accommodate this new business, but I am at a loss to understand how the proposed new site will cope with such demand.
STEVE SHADDICK, GSS Electronic Solutions Limited
* We would like to protest at the closure of yet another main Post Office and the resiting to a much smaller and inconvenient site. It has not worked in Hitchin with their main post office - it is a disaster although the situation is much more convenient there than the Letchworth proposal. We lost the Corner Post Office recently to consolidate business to the main office and now this is to be moved - it is unbelievable.
MERIEL and JOHN BURRIDGE, Baldock Road, Letchworth Garden City