No more town council
Re Letchworth Garden City Town Council. I read the usual wordy comments from the members of the town council last week. (Chris Harlow some 500 words!). A vociferous articulate minority in Letchworth try to lead the town in a direction, which I suspect mos
Re Letchworth Garden City Town Council.
I read the usual wordy comments from the members of the town council last week. (Chris Harlow some 500 words!).
A vociferous articulate minority in Letchworth try to lead the town in a direction, which I suspect most of the citizens do not want to go.
Some recent events should be recalled because the whole unpleasant business is not how I see the garden city developing.
You may also want to watch:
The office of the Deputy Prime Minister agreed to establish a town council because the required small number of signatures had been collected.
An election was held when the turnout was about half the number in a local council election. The local councillors may have been correct about the lack of need for a town council.
- 1 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 6 Stevenage lad donates 22 inches of hair to the Little Princess Trust
- 7 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 8 Freedom Day: Events to go ahead but hospitality will be affected, says BID manager
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Survivors Against Domestic Abuse opens 23rd safe space as demand for services rises
The town council is now casting about for premises, attacking the Foundation and costing ratepayers an unnecessary expense. I begrudge the £19.63 that I must pay for the town council next year.
I have been a resident of Letchworth for 44 years and I have never been asked if I wanted a town council.
I do not want a town council now nor previously.
Surely there is enough local representation with district councils, county councils, Members of Parliament and MEPs.
We also have free, ready and detailed access to the Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation members and staff.
I would suggest that most people in Letchworth, now some 33,000, would like the town council dissolved.
Would it be possible, even at this late stage, to have a referendum for the residents of Letchworth to see if we, the residents, want a town council?
Richard Walsh, Howard Drive, Letchworth GC