No more recycling
SIR – We are a family of four who always save all our plastic bottles and cardboard waste up to take them to the Stevenage Rubbish and Recycling Centre every four to six weeks... or should I say; we used to! My husband always takes the recycling in his sm
SIR - We are a family of four who always save all our plastic bottles and cardboard waste up to take them to the Stevenage Rubbish and Recycling Centre every four to six weeks... or should I say; we used to!
My husband always takes the recycling in his small Escort van so as not to dirty the family car (you have to wash out/remove lids from the bottles to be accepted so it can be a bit messy).
The last three to four times he has been picked on by workers shouting across the yard to him, embarrassing him, making him feel like a criminal and generally making a scene. They always ask what he is doing there, and the last time they even told him he had too much recycling and should not bring it!
We have now taken their advice after one too many rude comments from the staff and instead of putting one black bag of rubbish out a week, we are now putting two to three bags a week. This is pure lunacy, but what are we to do?
You may also want to watch:
We contacted WasteAway who run the site and were promised an investigation and apology would follow - none did! So, the next time the council wants to promote public recycling, maybe it is their recycling centre and staff they need to aim to educate; not the public who are being actively dissuaded from recycling.
Mrs TRACEY HARRIS
- 1 Our town in pictures: A journey through Stevenage's past and present
- 2 Famous faces: A look at Stevenage's most notable people
- 3 Two arrests made after serious assault in town centre
- 4 Stevenage through and through - nine generations of family see town transformed
- 5 Stevenage teen sentenced after sexually abusing young boys
- 6 Video of woman spewing racial hate in Hitchin goes viral
- 7 From Silkin's vision to regeneration: How our town has evolved through the years
- 8 Man suffers head injury after fall from moving car
- 9 Floats, fun and fancy dress: Do you remember Stevenage Carnival?
- 10 Regeneration plans submitted to 'breathe new life' into Stevenage retail park