No help from police
SIR - Regarding Call for residents to stop scout hut vandals The Comet September 4 page 9, Cllr Muir and Mr Hemmings want residents to call the police if they spot anything suspicious. On June 29 this year my wife, son and daughter-in-law took our grand
SIR - Regarding 'Call for residents to stop scout hut vandals' The Comet September 4 page 9, Cllr Muir and Mr Hemmings want residents to call the police if they spot anything suspicious.
On June 29 this year my wife, son and daughter-in-law took our grandchildren to the park area near the scout hut to play on the swings etc, but they were prevented from doing so because a gang of teenagers ranging from about 12 to 18 years of age had taken over the toddlers' play area to play football.
They had wound the toddler swings up over the framework so that they could use it as goal posts. When my son and wife approached them to unwind the swings so that my young grandchildren could use them they were met with verbal abuse. My son then called the police.
When I arrived on the scene I also called the police via 999. Two young WPCs eventually arrived and tried talking to the youths, a conversation I witnessed.
You may also want to watch:
The youths told the police that it was a public park and they had every right to be there. When asked by the police had they damaged the swings two of the younger ones said, ''How could we, we were sitting on the scout hut roof at the time.''
The police paid no attention to this and just told the youths they were right, it is a public park, but could they play football outside the play area for a while.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 8 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
Perhaps it is the main reason the residents do not call the police anymore. I am asking that my name and address is not published as I know once again my car will be vandalised if it is, but if Cllr Muir wants to contact me this newspaper has my permission to provide him or Chris Nash with my name and address
YOURS, VERY ANNOYED
Name and address supplied