No delight at the dump
SIR - I was interested to read of Stephen Aldridge s unfortunate experiences at the Stevenage dump (Comet, July 10), as I too have been subjected to foul mouthed intimidation there more than once this year. I had the misfortune to take eight fence panels,
SIR - I was interested to read of Stephen Aldridge's unfortunate experiences at the Stevenage dump (Comet, July 10), as I too have been subjected to foul mouthed intimidation there more than once this year.
I had the misfortune to take eight fence panels, broken down into slabs, to the dump and was told in no uncertain terms that I had too much and was not allowed to leave more than a small proportion of the fence slats, which I duly did, whilst I was stood over and watched by a most surly and belligerent individual who counted the number of pieces!
I also have had the misfortune of being guilty of not separating wood from timber, and was again harangued by a most unsavoury character in front of a very patient queue of people. I felt obliged to apologise to the queue for delaying them for my misdemeanour and failure. This prompted a threat from this individual that I would be served with some sort of EHO and fine for abusing the system.
My quiet observation that I thought he should be providing a service to the public was met in the usual belligerent way.
You may also want to watch:
I now go out of my way not to go to the dump unless absolutely necessary. The last time I went, all of a sudden these camp guards appeared. I guess that they have a list or red flag warning system for recalcitrant people's number plates!
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 9 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system
- 10 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'