No delight at the dump
SIR - I was interested to read of Stephen Aldridge s unfortunate experiences at the Stevenage dump (Comet, July 10), as I too have been subjected to foul mouthed intimidation there more than once this year. I had the misfortune to take eight fence panels,
SIR - I was interested to read of Stephen Aldridge's unfortunate experiences at the Stevenage dump (Comet, July 10), as I too have been subjected to foul mouthed intimidation there more than once this year.
I had the misfortune to take eight fence panels, broken down into slabs, to the dump and was told in no uncertain terms that I had too much and was not allowed to leave more than a small proportion of the fence slats, which I duly did, whilst I was stood over and watched by a most surly and belligerent individual who counted the number of pieces!
I also have had the misfortune of being guilty of not separating wood from timber, and was again harangued by a most unsavoury character in front of a very patient queue of people. I felt obliged to apologise to the queue for delaying them for my misdemeanour and failure. This prompted a threat from this individual that I would be served with some sort of EHO and fine for abusing the system.
My quiet observation that I thought he should be providing a service to the public was met in the usual belligerent way.
You may also want to watch:
I now go out of my way not to go to the dump unless absolutely necessary. The last time I went, all of a sudden these camp guards appeared. I guess that they have a list or red flag warning system for recalcitrant people's number plates!
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising