New tests could be the cure for bad doctors
THE Government has said it will introduce five-yearly MOTs for all UK doctors, to test their basic competence as a medic before they are relicensed, and this week released more details on how the system will work. It will be piloted over the next 18 month
THE Government has said it will introduce five-yearly MOTs for all UK doctors, to test their basic competence as a medic before they are relicensed, and this week released more details on how the system will work.
It will be piloted over the next 18 months and, to my mind, can only be a good thing.
It will help get rid of bad doctors, improve the standards of those practicing, and iron out bad habits.
It makes no sense whatsoever to allow a GP or consultant to practice and never face formal re-assessment of their competence, clinical skills or performance.
The inquiry into the Harold Shipman case, where the GP murdered more than 200 people over a 23-year period, raised concerns about the regulation of doctors and it is about time something was done about it.
Other professionals with great responsibilities are continually tested. For example, teachers are regularly monitored through Ofsted inspections and in-house observations, and pilots can face more than 100 assessments over their careers.
- 1 Tranquil Turtle officially opens with lavish launch event
- 2 Dangerous paedophile jailed for sexual abuse of vulnerable girl
- 3 Serious collision on A602 injures four
- 4 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 5 Christmas markets return to Hitchin
- 6 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 7 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year
- 8 Care home excited to open its doors to new residents
- 9 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 10 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
l It's a pity the one job in the world that brings with it the greatest responsibility requires no training or qualifications. Becoming a parent, responsible for another human life, is the most important job you can have.
And to look around at some people who have taken on this role, there really ought to be some rigorous training, testing and criteria.