Further to the article in The Comet August 31 on the postponement of the intended public meeting about Hitchin Museum, there are specific concerns which need to be raised. This idea no doubt emanated from a certain amount of distrust about the actions of
Further to the article in The Comet August 31 on the postponement of the intended public meeting about Hitchin Museum, there are specific concerns which need to be raised.
This idea no doubt emanated from a certain amount of distrust about the actions of the North Herts District Council and also the failure of local councillors to take a stand and give their views on the importance or otherwise of local museums.
North Herts is out of step with the rest of the county in trying to establish a district museum. Other local authorities are doing their utmost to preserve their local museums in Hertfordshire. The problems with NHDC began with a proposal going to cabinet and being approved for a district museum without any public consultation. Workshops held in Letchworth were by invitation only, prior to that, and those attending had no idea that such a museum was being considered. Nothing that has happened subsequently has given grounds for much optimism that the local museums will be saved.
NHDC controlled working groups with public involvement as planned could be used to their advantage by the council. Despite the expense this is such an important matter that only a full public consultation will suffice.
You may also want to watch:
NAME AND ADDRESS WITHHELD
- 1 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 2 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 3 Historic family jewellers scoops up industry awards
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 6 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 7 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 8 Letchworth hub will get to the 'heart of community'
- 9 Teaching assistant celebrates 50 years of working at school
- 10 Sacrifices made as Stevenage defiantly answer their critics at Harrogate Town