Further to the article in The Comet August 31 on the postponement of the intended public meeting about Hitchin Museum, there are specific concerns which need to be raised. This idea no doubt emanated from a certain amount of distrust about the actions of
Further to the article in The Comet August 31 on the postponement of the intended public meeting about Hitchin Museum, there are specific concerns which need to be raised.
This idea no doubt emanated from a certain amount of distrust about the actions of the North Herts District Council and also the failure of local councillors to take a stand and give their views on the importance or otherwise of local museums.
North Herts is out of step with the rest of the county in trying to establish a district museum. Other local authorities are doing their utmost to preserve their local museums in Hertfordshire. The problems with NHDC began with a proposal going to cabinet and being approved for a district museum without any public consultation. Workshops held in Letchworth were by invitation only, prior to that, and those attending had no idea that such a museum was being considered. Nothing that has happened subsequently has given grounds for much optimism that the local museums will be saved.
NHDC controlled working groups with public involvement as planned could be used to their advantage by the council. Despite the expense this is such an important matter that only a full public consultation will suffice.
You may also want to watch:
NAME AND ADDRESS WITHHELD
- 1 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 2 Harry Styles and Emma Corrin snap confirms 'My Policeman' filming at Hitchin pool
- 3 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Have your say on proposals for 18 new flats on Kwik Fit site
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 6 Schoolchildren transform underpass into art gallery to mark Clean Air Day
- 7 Hertfordshire Garden Show set to return to Knebworth Park this summer
- 8 World premiere screening of film Lightships at Letchworth's Broadway cinema
- 9 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
- 10 Poppy Appeal stalwart Les Mortimer recognised for decades of fundraising