Motoring change of priorities
SIR - In reference to the development in Letchworth town centre, we should keep in mind that 2008 is a year of (perhaps permanent) change in road transport, now that petrol and diesel are rising very much in price. People in the future will not be able to
SIR - In reference to the development in Letchworth town centre, we should keep in mind that 2008 is a year of (perhaps permanent) change in road transport, now that petrol and diesel are rising very much in price.
People in the future will not be able to afford cars and will have to go by public transport, walk or cycle.
This means that thousands of cars will not be visiting Letchworth (or any other town) to bring shoppers in.
This means more cycleways and a larger bus station, if needed, and an improved railway station with a passenger escalator!
For a century, man has been using up a finite resource, oil/petrol/diesel and now that it is running out and the price is going up and up.
In the Daily Telegraph Saturday magazine recently, there was an article about the USA and China, the two world giants. In the USA people have lost their jobs and houses and are living in tents in California, now that they cannot afford to commute large distances in their cars. Detroit, in north USA has collapsed, being once the manufacturer of the American car!
- 1 Apply for free tickets to see new season of The Masked Singer being filmed in Hertfordshire
- 2 Two men from North Herts wanted by police for failing to attend court
- 3 Rising costs see refill store in Letchworth close for good
- 4 Family's car window smashed in overnight criminal damage
- 5 Missing 16-year-old from Letchworth found 'safe and well'
- 6 Tesco and Aldi among supermarkets issuing 'do not eat' warnings
- 7 Starry-eyed Letchworth students meet Britain’s first astronaut
- 8 Baldock Charter Fair returns this week!
- 9 Celebrating 50 years of Stevenage's Fairlands Valley Park
- 10 Stevenage boss won't paper over the cracks despite victory away to Crawley
A five year old boy knows that if he is given a glass of lemonade to drink, it needs to be refilled all of the time! We cannot refill our vehicles with petrol or diesel, as oil is coming to an end!
A J HOLLIS
Letchworth Garden City