Motoring change of priorities
SIR - In reference to the development in Letchworth town centre, we should keep in mind that 2008 is a year of (perhaps permanent) change in road transport, now that petrol and diesel are rising very much in price. People in the future will not be able to
SIR - In reference to the development in Letchworth town centre, we should keep in mind that 2008 is a year of (perhaps permanent) change in road transport, now that petrol and diesel are rising very much in price.
People in the future will not be able to afford cars and will have to go by public transport, walk or cycle.
This means that thousands of cars will not be visiting Letchworth (or any other town) to bring shoppers in.
This means more cycleways and a larger bus station, if needed, and an improved railway station with a passenger escalator!
You may also want to watch:
For a century, man has been using up a finite resource, oil/petrol/diesel and now that it is running out and the price is going up and up.
In the Daily Telegraph Saturday magazine recently, there was an article about the USA and China, the two world giants. In the USA people have lost their jobs and houses and are living in tents in California, now that they cannot afford to commute large distances in their cars. Detroit, in north USA has collapsed, being once the manufacturer of the American car!
- 1 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 2 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 3 Historic family jewellers scoops up industry awards
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 6 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 7 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 8 Letchworth hub will get to the 'heart of community'
- 9 Teaching assistant celebrates 50 years of working at school
- 10 Sacrifices made as Stevenage defiantly answer their critics at Harrogate Town
A five year old boy knows that if he is given a glass of lemonade to drink, it needs to be refilled all of the time! We cannot refill our vehicles with petrol or diesel, as oil is coming to an end!
A J HOLLIS
Letchworth Garden City