Meet the host...
Meet our host for the Comet Community Awards.
It’s amazing where a conversation leads. One minute you’re talking about Formula 1 in a bar in Las Vegas, the next minute you’re in a commentary box in Bahrain. Unlikely but true, after years of following Formula 1 from the comfort of his sofa, one little chat, plenty of hard work and a lot of luck later David became BBC’s Motor Racing Commentator at the start of 2006. A position he held until the end of the 2011 season when he left the BBC to join Sky Sports as their new F1 Commentator.
Which means that Crofty will be seen and heard at every Practice and Qualifying Session, plus every Grand Prix from Australia to Brazil and all points in between, on a brand new channel for 2012, Sky Sports F1 HD
David was born and bread in Stevenage but now resides a little further up the A1 with his wife Vicky and children Sam, Chris, Daniel and James
Prior to 2006, Crofty reported on various sports for BBC Radio 5-Live, including the 2002 World Cup and 2004 Olympic Games. He also presented Sport on 5, commentated on Superbowl XLI, hosted numerous boxing specials and presented a midweek Sports Show on BBC London 94.9FM. He initially started out at BBC Three Counties Radio in 1996 and stayed with the station for the 3 years before joining 5-Live
Crofty has also commentated at the Lakeside World Darts Championships and Winmau World Masters for the past 9 years on BBC TV and now on ESPN as well. David has also commentated on Boxing for Setanta Sports including Joe Calzaghe’s final fight against Roy Jones Jnr at Madison Square Garden. He regularly appears as a panelist on 5-Live’s Fighting Talk and hosts the post race unilateral interviews for Formula One Management after a number of Grand Prix.
He has appeared in the Codemasters F1 2010 and F1 2011 games, The Race for Sky One, Goodwood Festival of Speed for Sky Sports and GP2 and the Red Bull Track Attack for ITV. And has hosted various F1 Car launches over the past few years for the McLaren, Honda and Virgin Racing teams.
- 1 A1(M) closed in both directions near Letchworth
- 2 Plans approved for former Stevenage bus station site
- 3 Three arrested after cannabis, cash and phones seized
- 4 Lights stolen in Baldock burglary
- 5 Can you spot your school at Stevenage's Commonwealth Games Day?
- 6 11-year-old boy 'seriously injured' after e-scooter and car crash
- 7 Stevenage Armed Forces Day in pictures
- 8 North Herts Sanctuary announces plans to continue support amid service changes
- 9 Villagers pull together to support boy with life-limiting condition
- 10 Weston fraudster given jail time after scamming council out of £700,000
David has hosted the Comet Sports Awards since their inception and is thrilled to be back once again, celebrating the best sporting achievements in Comet Country over the past 12 months