London Marathon 2015: A family affair
- Credit: Archant
This weekend’s long run was a bit of a family affair.
Having run solo so far I was looking forward to tackling Saturday’s 16-miler with my brother-in-law Chris, who is in training for next month’s Manchester Marathon. Well, that was at least until I realised he was doing his run on Sunday.
So it was just me and the countryside, with my new friend – jelly babies.
Running is straightforward on so many levels – just put one foot in front of the other and off you go – but it also strikes me how one small thing can make such a difference.
On Saturday that little bit of Bassett goodness got me through some tough moments and helped me reach another milestone on what was a beautiful day for running.
But equally important was the chance meet with my sister as I neared home, and then with my girlfriend and her parents who had decided to go to the shops while I slogged it out for two and a half hours.
After each brief meet I felt like I had an extra spring in my step (the reality may have looked different), and I know that support will help me so much on marathon day.
- 1 11-year-old left with facial injuries after Stevenage dog attack
- 2 Ashbottom Close 'altercation' leaves man in his 20s with serious injuries
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 5 Red panda Tilly gives birth to ‘miracle’ cub at Paradise Wildlife Park one month after passing of partner Nam Pang
- 6 Ford Focus and Vauxhall Insignia crash on A602 Stevenage Road
- 7 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 8 Wire damage disrupts Great Northern trains between Hitchin and Peterborough
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 Village football club premises gets facelift thanks to bank staff
That, and a bag full of jelly babies in my pocket should do the trick.
• To sponsor me and support St John Ambulance click here (please).