London Marathon 2015: A family affair
- Credit: Archant
This weekend’s long run was a bit of a family affair.
Having run solo so far I was looking forward to tackling Saturday’s 16-miler with my brother-in-law Chris, who is in training for next month’s Manchester Marathon. Well, that was at least until I realised he was doing his run on Sunday.
So it was just me and the countryside, with my new friend – jelly babies.
Running is straightforward on so many levels – just put one foot in front of the other and off you go – but it also strikes me how one small thing can make such a difference.
On Saturday that little bit of Bassett goodness got me through some tough moments and helped me reach another milestone on what was a beautiful day for running.
You may also want to watch:
But equally important was the chance meet with my sister as I neared home, and then with my girlfriend and her parents who had decided to go to the shops while I slogged it out for two and a half hours.
After each brief meet I felt like I had an extra spring in my step (the reality may have looked different), and I know that support will help me so much on marathon day.
- 1 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 7 No positives for Revell as Boro meekly surrender to Forest Green Rovers
- 8 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 9 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 10 Arrest made after man in his 40s dies in A505 crash tragedy
That, and a bag full of jelly babies in my pocket should do the trick.
• To sponsor me and support St John Ambulance click here (please).