FOND memories were stirred when pensioners made a nostalgic return to their old work place.
They helped, over 60 years, to build a heritage and reputation of engineering excellence in Stevenage and MBDA was delighted to host a visit of over 50 of its retired employees.
For many of the guests it was an opportunity to return to the company’s Stevenage site for the first time in 20 years – a site that has changed dramatically since they were last there.
Bob Moggridge, aged 85, is the former quality assurance director. He said: “It was amazing to go back and see the changes that have been made on the site.
“The company has always used some of the world’s most sophisticated engineering facilities to develop its products but those on site today are at the leading edge of world class.
You may also want to watch:
“All of us enjoyed a tremendous evening and it was a pleasure to talk with people who we had first met as apprentices and trainees in their early days with the company.”
Keith Garden, deputy managing director, MBDA UK said: “It was a pleasure to reunite our retired employees with many current employees who they remembered as young graduates, apprentices and trainees in their time with the company.
- 1 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 2 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 3 Development plans for 16.5-acre Stevenage site could create 1,000 jobs
- 4 Unannounced safety inspection of care home following COVID-19 outbreak
- 5 Decision made on opening play areas in Stevenage
- 6 Council tax to rise in county after 'extraordinary' year
- 7 Man arrested in connection with petrol station robbery
- 8 Increase in town centre parking charges 'is no help to beleaguered shops clinging on'
- 9 Seven things that are gone but not forgotten in Stevenage
- 10 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
“Watching them exchange memories of past days was a reminder to all of us of the tremendous contribution that our guests made in shaping the UK complex weapons industry over the last 60 years.
“They may not realise it but to us most of them are legends in the history of our company to this day.”