Keeping Hitchin special
Keep Hitchin Special, we have been told. How is it then that those in authority seem determined to undermine some of our special treasures, and make us just like a clone of every other small town (if indeed we can remain separate from other nearby towns)?
Keep Hitchin Special, we have been told.
How is it then that those in authority seem determined to undermine some of our special treasures, and make us just like a clone of every other small town (if indeed we can remain separate from other nearby towns)?
I went to a Hitchin Committee meeting on Tuesday, which had the market on its agenda. Not only was there minimal discussion of the issue, while the shocking fact was revealed that the market has been without an acting manager for a long time; but the review which was handed out gives a misleading account of the farmers' market. It told us there is a farmers' market on Tuesdays - don't they know it has not been every Tuesday for ages? How are we supposed to know which Tuesday and where? There are such lovely stalls, selling gorgeous local produce. Isn't this something to be celebrated and advertised?
As for the museum, every museum is unique and ours has special features like the Apothecary's Shop and the Physic Garden which belong to Hitchin, not to be merged - and submerged - in some non-place somewhere in North Herts. It is a lovely museum and although it needs improved facilities, this can be done on site, at much less cost than that projected for the new combined museum.
You may also want to watch:
Hitchin Forum, Hitchin Historical Society and others are doing their best. Hitchin - the real Hitchin - needs all our support.
CAROLA SCUPHAM, Midland Cottages, Hitchin
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 Do you recognise these people?
- 10 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?