Keeping Hitchin special
Keep Hitchin Special, we have been told. How is it then that those in authority seem determined to undermine some of our special treasures, and make us just like a clone of every other small town (if indeed we can remain separate from other nearby towns)?
Keep Hitchin Special, we have been told.
How is it then that those in authority seem determined to undermine some of our special treasures, and make us just like a clone of every other small town (if indeed we can remain separate from other nearby towns)?
I went to a Hitchin Committee meeting on Tuesday, which had the market on its agenda. Not only was there minimal discussion of the issue, while the shocking fact was revealed that the market has been without an acting manager for a long time; but the review which was handed out gives a misleading account of the farmers' market. It told us there is a farmers' market on Tuesdays - don't they know it has not been every Tuesday for ages? How are we supposed to know which Tuesday and where? There are such lovely stalls, selling gorgeous local produce. Isn't this something to be celebrated and advertised?
As for the museum, every museum is unique and ours has special features like the Apothecary's Shop and the Physic Garden which belong to Hitchin, not to be merged - and submerged - in some non-place somewhere in North Herts. It is a lovely museum and although it needs improved facilities, this can be done on site, at much less cost than that projected for the new combined museum.
Hitchin Forum, Hitchin Historical Society and others are doing their best. Hitchin - the real Hitchin - needs all our support.
CAROLA SCUPHAM, Midland Cottages, Hitchin
- 1 Stevenage Iceland to permanently close today
- 2 More than 80 vacancies up for grabs at Stevenage Airbus
- 3 Emergency services attend crash near busy Stevenage roundabout
- 4 Man charged with GBH after stabbing in Hitchin
- 5 Woman sentenced after Aldi bottle smashing spree
- 6 Airbus: Stevenage's out of this world impact on space missions over seven decades
- 7 Man injured police officers while being arrested for drug offences
- 8 Two reports of indecent exposure in Stevenage
- 9 Latest on Stevenage Marks & Spencer store opening
- 10 Looking to local talent - Airbus star rises from apprentice to manager