Keep an eye on the Cottages
One day, last week, I took a walk down to Queen Street here in Hitchin to have a look around the headmaster s house at the old school, now as part of the school s exhibit. What a grand job they have done in their presentation of the furniture, fittings an
One day, last week, I took a walk down to Queen Street here in Hitchin to have a look around the headmaster's house at the old school, now as part of the school's exhibit. What a grand job they have done in their presentation of the furniture, fittings and all the nicnaks that they have included to give the homely atmosphere to the rooms as if the headmaster had popped over to the main school building and you were waiting for his return.
On leaving the school I walked along Queen Street to take a look at the two cottages, no.37 and 38, known as Titmore Cottages and to my horror the iron railings that divided the two cottages had been wilfully banged out of alignment. Also where there had been only two cars on show for sale outside number 37, now that the railing is out of alignment, there are three cars on display.
Please would the members of the Hitchin Forum take photographs of this damage with measurements and inform the appropriate department at the council offices of this damage. Also as printed in The Comet (Hands off our heritage) dated March 2, 2006, a request had been put forward apart from other important matters which included the removal of the display of cars from the front of the number 37 front garden. So why are they still there?
And finally through The Comet I would like to say thank you to Rev. Steven Green of the Grace Baptist Church for his comments dated March 16 relating to the estate agents' 'For Sale' sign attached to the side wall of your charming church.
You may also want to watch:
NAME AND ADDRESS WITTHELD
- 1 CCTV appeal after fraud incident in Stevenage
- 2 Have you seen missing Hitchin woman?
- 3 Primary schools hit back after ex-Ofsted head says teachers should be prepared to 'sacrifice their lives'
- 4 Missing Stevenage teen found
- 5 More than £250,000 funding agreed for new Stevenage school
- 6 Five Guys to open as lockdown restrictions ease
- 7 When will outdoor pools be reopening in Letchworth and Hitchin?
- 8 Town's multi-million pound investment is 'once in a generation' opportunity
- 9 Historic school to close at end of academic year
- 10 Development plans for 16.5-acre Stevenage site could create 1,000 jobs