Joining the culture club
This week s Private Eye magazine says of Liverpool s status as the European City of Culture 2008: What culture actually means to the city council has long been clear from the continuing demolition of historic buildings, the approval of every crass new
This week's Private Eye magazine says of Liverpool's status as the European City of Culture 2008: "What 'culture' actually means to the city council has long been clear from the continuing demolition of historic buildings, the approval of every crass new commercial development and the disfigurement of Pierhead with the gratuitous new Museum of Liverpool building..."
If it weren't for the fact that Hitchin is not actually a city I wonder if the high-rise residents would have put forward the "historic market town(tm)" up for the City of Culture title next time around...
I've taken a look on the Liverpool08 website and find it rather ironic that having the "city of culture" tag allows a council (for I think it is the council behind the merchandise, it doesn't actually say who the money will go to) to take advantage and sell rather cheap and boring merchandise.
You can buy Ringo Starr wristbands, a "sun visor with 08 logo" (a sun visor, in Liverpool!) and, get this, a small bowling bag.
You may also want to watch:
The one item which really caught my attention was The Liverpool 2007 Official Souvenir Brochure.
Why are they flogging this as part of the 2008 city of culture experience?
- 1 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 2 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says council
- 3 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 4 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 5 Community fieldwalking to uncover Hitchin's Roman ruins hailed 'huge success'
- 6 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 8 Two schools' birthday celebrations can finally go ahead
- 9 Revealed: Stevenage pantomime cast members announced for Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images