Is the Lagoon dangerous?
SIR – Mr Tim Wilson s father who purchased the Blue Lagoon some twenty years ago knew perfectly well at the time the problem of trespassing there. The Blue Lagoon flooded in 1934 and ever since then the residents of Arlesey, Letchworth, Hitchin and even f
SIR - Mr Tim Wilson's father who purchased the Blue Lagoon some twenty years ago knew perfectly well at the time the problem of trespassing there. The Blue Lagoon flooded in 1934 and ever since then the residents of Arlesey, Letchworth, Hitchin and even further afield have been swimming and walking there. In this respect I do not see that Mr Wilson has anything to complain about. But if Mr Wilson wishes to stop trespassers then he can resort to civil law.
Is the Blue Lagoon a dangerous place? Well, I think no more dangerous than many other places. Isn't the sea dangerous? Bathers die in the sea and fall down sea cliffs. Does that mean that we should develop every inch of our beautiful coastline in such a way that no-one can ever get hurt again. This 'let us remove all danger' attitude is surely preposterous.
Whatever development Mr Wilson has in mind for the Blue Lagoon it will not stop people from swimming there unless he builds a strong steel fence all the way round the water. In my opinion and that of many others the Blue Lagoon is a jewel of a beauty spot the like of which is not seen again for many miles from North Herts and Mid Beds. A steel fence and Mr Wilson's development will utterly destroy this beautiful site.
Mr Wilson wants to make money from the development of the Blue Lagoon. It is understandable for him to want to make money. But should the Mid Beds council allow him to ruin a very rare and beautiful place to satisfy his ambitions? And should the public support him? I think not.
You may also want to watch:
R F NORGAN
Hon Sec Friends
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 2 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 3 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 4 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 5 Do you recognise these people?
- 6 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 7 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 8 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 9 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 10 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
of the Blue Lagoon