In praise of the police
I read a lot of letters which complain about the Hertfordshire Police Force and I would like to just put another point of view. Over the last few years, we have had occasion to call the police for help with a family member. Not because he is a bad person,
I read a lot of letters which complain about the Hertfordshire Police Force and I would like to just put another point of view.
Over the last few years, we have had occasion to call the police for help with a family member. Not because he is a bad person, but just because a family tragedy has left him confused and unable to understand the world around him. This trauma has affected the whole family and perhaps this has made things worse, we do not know. Whatever the reasons, the embarrassment of having to call the police has been outweighed by the necessity to do so.
The constables who came, without exception, have been extremely well trained, understanding, commanding and best of all, non-judgemental. They have helped us over several temporarily very difficult emotional moments and gave us the reassurance that we could call them again at any time. We were not made to feel a nuisance, nor as second class citizens who could not handle their own lives. We also had an insight into the uncertainties that they must face daily, when dealing with people with mental health problems or unacceptable behaviour. People who complain about the police should stop to consider the other duties that they perform and not just think about the speeding motorists that are caught by cameras.
We cannot thank them enough for their kindness and help.
You may also want to watch:
NAME AND ADDDRESS WITHHELD
- 1 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 4 Hospice volunteers mark Churchgate Day on the catwalk with vintage fashion show
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 8 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 9 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 10 Historic family jewellers scoops up industry awards