Helping BID to keep it local
THE Comet s Buy Local campaign has been warmly welcomed in Hitchin where business people have already taken their own initiative to promote the town. It was in April that a scheme to spend �1.25m on improvements to the town centre to encourage more shopp
THE Comet's Buy Local campaign has been warmly welcomed in Hitchin where business people have already taken their own initiative to promote the town.
It was in April that a scheme to spend �1.25m on improvements to the town centre to encourage more shoppers was given the go ahead in a ballot of local businesses.
Behind the plan to create a Business Improvement District (BID) locally was Hitchin Town Centre Initiative (HTCI) which has Keith Hoskins, pictured right, as its manager.
He said this week: "Hitchin BID is keen to support The Comet's Buy Local campaign.
You may also want to watch:
"With public awareness rising about the importance of keeping their local town vibrant and about increased transport costs, it is the right time to remind shoppers how much there is on offer.
"Our vibrant market where over a hundred independent traders ply their wares on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays has gone from strength to strength this year. The addition of a local produce and crafts market on the last Saturday of each month has proved extremely popular."
- 1 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 2 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Custodial sentence 'sends strong message' to those carrying knives
- 6 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 7 Hitchin Beer and Cider Festival in pictures
- 8 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 9 Hospice volunteers mark Churchgate Day on the catwalk with vintage fashion show
- 10 You Me At Six to play headline show at Hatfield's Slam Dunk Festival site
Explaining the need for BID, Keith said:
"Businesses have joined together in Hitchin to ensure that their town is promoted and provides a welcome for residents and visitors alike. The town is well catered for with cafes, pubs and restaurants so there is always somewhere to rest and refresh!
"Whatever service you require or whatever product you need, Hitchin businesses will supply.
''Whether you are planning a wedding, hosting a party or looking for that out of the ordinary present, Hitchin is the place to be - unique shopping and a historic setting in a town with atmosphere.