Health care future in good hands
SIR - In response to your article Fears over future of health care , (The Comet, June 12), I would like to assure your readers that a private company is not being brought in to run the primary care trust (PCT). The two PCTs in Hertfordshire have made en
SIR - In response to your article 'Fears over future of health care', (The Comet, June 12),
I would like to assure your readers that a private company is not being brought in to run the primary care trust (PCT).
The two PCTs in Hertfordshire have made enormous progress since the last performance ratings were published in October last year. These ratings relate to the period between April 2006 and March 2007 - a time of major upheaval as eight primary care trusts merged to form two new organisations. These new PCTs also inherited a difficult financial position and, at the time of the assessment, we were unable to be sure that we had completely met all of the standards.
Over the past year, things have improved dramatically in Hertfordshire. We have paid off all our historic debt and now have money to invest in developing new services. We have also set the future direction for health care across the county following our 'delivering quality health care for Hertfordshire' consultation.
You may also want to watch:
The new Department of Health powers, to which your article refers, are rightly being introduced as a last resort to ensure that under-achieving organisations make plans to improve. However we are confident that this would not apply to the Hertfordshire primary care trusts.
This week, the Healthcare Commission published the self-assessments from all NHS organisations which will feed into our 'Annual Health Check' rating this October. Our self-assessment shows just how much we have achieved over the past 12 months and we are certain that Hertfordshire patients will benefit from the improvements.
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 4 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 9 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 10 Do you recognise these people?
East and North Hertfordshire PCT & West Hertfordshire PCT