Gun cops on the streets
SIR – I live in Berkeley Close which is north of the old Hertford Road which is banned to through traffic. Like many other people I sometimes use this cut through. I know that it is illegal but fail to see why it has been so designated. The reason that I
SIR - I live in Berkeley Close which is north of the old Hertford Road which is banned to through traffic.
Like many other people I sometimes use this cut through. I know that it is illegal but fail to see why it has been so designated. The reason that I use this run at times is that during busy times it is almost impossible to cross a very busy junction from Broadwater Crescent where there is no roundabout in place and, I must say, you take your life in your hands trying to cross it. If you go through the banned route you come to a roundabout making it safe and easy to cross the traffic.
Today, while going through this route, I was stopped by two police officers who were hiding in a side street. The police officer was very polite while he issued me with a fixed penalty notice. I asked him if he could tell me why this route was banned. He could not.
While he was writing my ticket I looked down and noticed that the police officer was wearing a gun. I asked him if this was now normal, he said no. I then looked at his colleague, he was also armed.
Is it such a risky job stopping motorists going through the bus lane at 8.15am that it requires a highly trained and specialist team of police officers or is it, as I suspect, a complete waste of resources maybe to collect enough money to pay for our new police station?
NAME AND ADDRESS
- 1 Molly-Mae Hague announces pregnancy in adorable Instagram video
- 2 Two arrests made in connection with Stevenage brawl
- 3 Possible changes to bin collections in North Herts
- 4 Player ratings: Stevenage's players assessed in the win over Harrogate
- 5 Man reportedly 'exposed himself' in front of 14-year-old girl on Thameslink train
- 6 'Terrible' oil spill in Hitchin river causes multiple bird deaths
- 7 Strike to hit Thameslink on bumper day for Premier League football
- 8 Stevenage stabbings: Three men suffer life-changing injuries
- 9 Bid to turn Stevenage Deamer's store into betting shop
- 10 Chocolates sold at Tesco stores recalled after health risk discovered