Give arts a chance
I am writing to say thank you for the article in this week s paper regarding the ceremony for the Talented Young Persons Award and the amount of space you gave to the young people who were given money to pursue their careers in the arts. Oh, wait a momen
I am writing to say thank you for the article in this week's paper regarding the ceremony for the Talented Young Persons Award and the amount of space you gave to the young people who were given money to pursue their careers in the arts.
Oh, wait a moment. That must have been another article because no one in the arts arena was mentioned. Lots of words and nice pictures of people from sport but - surprise, surprise - nothing about the arts
As the mother of someone who was awarded money from this scheme it would have been nice for not only her but other recipients to have been acknowledged.
It seems to me that Stevenage is obsessed with sports and seems to have no problem in ploughing thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money into an already well financed industry. But how many people actually use the sports facilities or have any interest in sport other than when there is something like the World Cup on.
Against this, how many people participate in the arts? Do you go to the cinema, theatre or even just watch the television. If it was not for the dedicated people who sacrifice just as much as sports people to achieve their goal you would be looking at blank screens,
Just once it would be nice if the hardworking youngsters of Stevenage who want a career in the arts were afforded as many column inches as is dedicated to those who do sport.
- 1 Icon building planning appeal quashed after High Court review
- 2 Cat owner given 'best Christmas present' after being reunited with missing Maine Coon five years after disappearance
- 3 Bubble tea emporium opens in Stevenage
- 4 Woman pleads guilty to smashing bottles of booze worth £10,000
- 5 Butts Close: A monument to medieval Hitchin
- 6 A taste of what's to come: We look at Tranquil Turtle's menu ahead of opening
- 7 College releases statement after medical incident sparks social media rumours
- 8 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 9 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 10 Met police officer pleads not guilty to 20 charges including seven rapes
JACQUELINE ELLIS, East Close, Stevenage