Get your hands off our Post Office
SIR - I would like to plead the case for keeping our local post office, Bedwell Crescent, Stevenage. Apart from the obvious reason that older folk will find it a problem to travel further to the main post office in a busy crowded town centre, I have exper
SIR - I would like to plead the case for keeping our local post office, Bedwell Crescent, Stevenage.
Apart from the obvious reason that older folk will find it a problem to travel further to the main post office in a busy crowded town centre, I have experienced the advantage of the so called minor post offices several times.
Recently I returned a pair of boots to Hawkeshead because they did not fit, the staff at Bedwell PO were most helpful. After a month the money had still not been reimbursed, so I rang Hawkeshead. They denied they had been returned, and when I said I had proof of posting etc., they did not want to know. It was my problem. I was very upset and on relating the story to the woman at Bedwell Post Office, who had served me, and whom I recognised she said she remembered me and remembered sending off the boots. She sympathised and advised me.
Calmed down, I then went on line to the complaints department of Hawkeshead. I made a point of saying the staff at the Bedwell PO remembered me and remembered sending off my boots. The very next day I had a reply by email to say that my boots had been received and I would be reimbursed immediately, which I was.
You may also want to watch:
There is no way this sort of personal service could be provided to an individual at a large busy informal main post office.
I really appreciate the way I was treated. It made a big difference to my state of mind.
- 1 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 2 Teaching assistant celebrates 50 years of working at school
- 3 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 4 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 5 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 6 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 7 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 8 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
There are some things worth paying for which make life more pleasant. Look to save money some other way which does not hurt ordinary people!
Mrs BRENDA DAVIES
SIR - Apart from saving about £300million per annum (always attractive to Gordon Brown, Chancellor or Prime Minister), the move to close thousands of branches is due to EU competition rules.
I am afraid the people of Britain do not have a say in the matter. I am sure some countries, e.g. France and Italy, will greatly dilute the orders.
SIR - If any of the residents in the Archer Road area who currently use the Post Office in the Costcutter would like to sign a petition, there is one in the community centre that can be signed whenever the building is open.
Pin Green Community Centre