Get switched on to recycling
HERE WEEE go again.
Two events for North Herts residents to dispose of waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE) in an environmentally-friendly way take place later this month.
The special collections are from 9am to 3pm on January 18 at Woodside car park, Hitchin and January 25 at Letchworth Outdoor Pool car park.
At three similar events held by North Herts District Council (NHDC) last year, 21 tonnes of unwanted items were collected and sent for recycling and re-use instead of going to landfill.
Cllr Peter Burt, NHDC’s portfolio holder for waste, recycling and environment, said: “With many people updating their electrical and electronic equipment over Christmas or in the January sales, there is likely to be a lot of unwanted items cluttering up people’s homes at this time of year.
You may also want to watch:
“Instead of putting these in the grey bin and letting them go to landfill, far better to bring them along to one of these events so they can be recycled or re-used. Not only does it help the environment, it also helps to keep down the cost of waste disposal.”
Items that can be accepted at the events include:
- 1 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 2 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 5 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 6 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 7 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 8 Do you recognise these people?
- 9 Drugs, weapons and cash recovered as man arrested in Beds village
- 10 Have your say on parking restriction plans
* Kitchen items (e.g. kettles, toasters, microwaves, blenders, bread makers)
* General household items (e.g. lamps, vacuum cleaners, irons, alarm clocks, electric fans, battery chargers, electric or battery toys and charging devices)
* Audio/visual equipment (e.g. televisions, VCRs, DVD players, freeview boxes, radios, hi-fis, games consoles, mobiles and MP3 players)
* Health and beauty items (e.g. hairdryers, straighteners, electric razors)
* IT equipment (e.g. computers, printers, scanners)
Larger items, such as fridges and freezers, cannot be collected. These can be taken to the Letchworth Household Waste and Recycling Centre at Blackhorse Road. People who have any queries, or want more information on the events, can contact Laura Lack on 01462 474000 or email email@example.com