Get off Christmas merry-go-round and get creative
WITH Christmas looming, the present-buying frenzy is in full flow – but it is not too late to take stock of your priorities. Before you succumb entirely to the commercial side of the festive season, stop and think what is important at Christmas – family,
WITH Christmas looming, the present-buying frenzy is in full flow - but it is not too late to take stock of your priorities.
Before you succumb entirely to the commercial side of the festive season, stop and think what is important at Christmas - family, friends, good health and happiness. None of these things cost any money.
With the country in recession and families struggling to make ends meet, the cost of Christmas will undoubtedly panic many, and a lot of people will be hammering the plastic to pay for presents they cannot afford.
But Christmas gifts do not have to be pricey to be appreciated, and they can even cost nothing.
You may also want to watch:
Instead of joining other stressed out shoppers set on buying those pre-packaged and impersonal gift sets, why not put some thought into your gift-giving and make your presents - at least for the adults anyway?
Some ideas to give you a creative kick-start include making jam, cookies, Christmas cakes, candles, soaps, cushions, fruit liqueurs, corkboards, or calendars.
- 1 Missing veteran John Dick found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 2 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 3 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 4 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 5 Custodial sentence 'sends strong message' to those carrying knives
- 6 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 7 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 8 One-of-a-kind children's book shop opening in town centre
- 9 Hitchin Beer and Cider Festival in pictures
- 10 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
There are plenty of other ideas on the internet, along with instructions on how to make various gifts. Just get off the shopping merry-go-round and get Googling.
You could save yourself a small fortune, and ensure you don't begin the New Year in monetary misery.