Get off Christmas merry-go-round and get creative
WITH Christmas looming, the present-buying frenzy is in full flow – but it is not too late to take stock of your priorities. Before you succumb entirely to the commercial side of the festive season, stop and think what is important at Christmas – family,
WITH Christmas looming, the present-buying frenzy is in full flow - but it is not too late to take stock of your priorities.
Before you succumb entirely to the commercial side of the festive season, stop and think what is important at Christmas - family, friends, good health and happiness. None of these things cost any money.
With the country in recession and families struggling to make ends meet, the cost of Christmas will undoubtedly panic many, and a lot of people will be hammering the plastic to pay for presents they cannot afford.
But Christmas gifts do not have to be pricey to be appreciated, and they can even cost nothing.
Instead of joining other stressed out shoppers set on buying those pre-packaged and impersonal gift sets, why not put some thought into your gift-giving and make your presents - at least for the adults anyway?
Some ideas to give you a creative kick-start include making jam, cookies, Christmas cakes, candles, soaps, cushions, fruit liqueurs, corkboards, or calendars.
- 1 Rising costs see refill store in Letchworth close for good
- 2 Two men from North Herts wanted by police for failing to attend court
- 3 Family's car window smashed in overnight criminal damage
- 4 Stevenage store wins Opticians of the Year award
- 5 Henlow pub landlord calls last orders on annual beer festival
- 6 Celebrating 50 years of Stevenage's Fairlands Valley Park
- 7 Missing 16-year-old from Letchworth found 'safe and well'
- 8 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 9 Motorcyclist 'breaks leg and knee' in Stevenage crash
- 10 Man dies following medical episode at Stevenage Cineworld
There are plenty of other ideas on the internet, along with instructions on how to make various gifts. Just get off the shopping merry-go-round and get Googling.
You could save yourself a small fortune, and ensure you don't begin the New Year in monetary misery.