Frustration at saga of the lifts
I empathise and sympathise with British Rail Widow – Lift repairs are urgent – Comet, January 10, regarding the continued lack of disabled access to platforms at Letchworth Garden City Station. Oliver Heald MP and I have, over more years than I care
I empathise and sympathise with "British Rail Widow" - "Lift repairs are urgent" - Comet, January 10, regarding the continued lack of disabled access to platforms at Letchworth Garden City Station.
Oliver Heald MP and I have, over more years than I care to recall, tried to persuade Railtrack (as was), then Network Rail, WAGN (then the franchisee) then First Capital Connect, Hertfordshire County Council and North Hertfordshire District Council to work together to design, develop and fund the necessary access improvements. I have been told that the lift shafts do not have the structural integrity to accommodate new lifts, but other solutions have been identified to secure disabled access.
To be fair, Railtrack, then Network Rail, have had more than a few other priorities to deal with in this region and beyond, following the accidents at Potters Bar and Hatfield.
However, the plain fact is that, overall, there has not been the will, or ability, amongst the potential partners, to make this scheme a sufficiently high priority.
You may also want to watch:
The Foundation, for its part, has always made clear its willingness to be one of the funding partners, but it can never be the sole funder. Through its asset management, development and charitable distributions, the Foundation has brought, and continues to bring added value to Letchworth Garden City. However, it is not here to pick up the responsibilities and the spend, of other authorities and companies.
STUART M KENNY, Letchworth Garden City Heritage Foundation, Bridge Road, Letchworth Garden City
- 1 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Have your say on parking restriction plans
- 5 Application submitted for electric vehicle charging forecourt off A1(M)
- 6 Colossal bath makes a splash in Hitchin
- 7 Family plea to save eight-month-old pup Ellie
- 8 Harry in Hitchin? Speculation rises as film crews descend on outdoor pool
- 9 June 21: Will lifting of coronavirus lockdown restrictions still go ahead?
- 10 Do you recognise these people?