Forward with Fairtrade
Regarding Baldock bypass, I am taking time out from enjoying the peace and tranquility of Baldock this Bank Holiday weekend to reply to your correspondent Barrie Woods, of (surprise, surprise!), Letchworth. I cannot understand his fixation with the heavil
Regarding Baldock bypass, I am taking time out from enjoying the peace and tranquility of Baldock this Bank Holiday weekend to reply to your correspondent Barrie Woods, of (surprise, surprise!), Letchworth.
I cannot understand his fixation with the heavily-outvoted northern route; had this been adopted, it would have taken traffic in a tedious northern loop around Baldock and Radwell, crossing land and finally joining the A505 Royston Road in the vicinity of Slip End. For a bypass or ring road to be successful, it must provide drivers with an incentive to use it - the eastern route, already a massive success and of untold benefit to the population of Baldock, does just that! Not only does it bypass the town, it is also a short cut and as such, removes most of the HGVs and private cars that historically clogged up the town's main roads between the A1(M) and the Royston Road.
With regard to the severe congestion at the A1/Letchworth Gate interchange, this is only temporary; the volume of traffic using the interchange remains the same as ever, and a few months should see the return to (probably) traffic moving even more freely than before.
Maybe the citizens of Letchworth could demonstrate the same level of patience over this issue as their Baldock counterparts have for the last 70-odd years!
You may also want to watch:
PETER FOXWORTHY, Hillcrest, Baldock
- 1 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 4 Hospice volunteers mark Churchgate Day on the catwalk with vintage fashion show
- 5 5 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Hertfordshire
- 6 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 7 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 Historic family jewellers scoops up industry awards
- 10 Hertfordshire's adult social care workers honoured at award ceremony