Expensive fish supper
SIR - Last week I had the most expensive fish and chips in Hitchin, and probably the UK come to think of it. No, it was not at a five star Michelin restaurant, nor was I short-changed when I came to pay. The truth of it was that I was clamped in the priv
SIR - Last week I had the most expensive fish and chips in Hitchin, and probably the UK come to think of it. No, it was not at a five star Michelin restaurant, nor was I short-changed when I came to pay.
The truth of it was that I was clamped in the private parking area behind the row of shops on Hermitage Road in Hitchin while nipping over to the chippie opposite.
I will admit I was totally in the wrong, as it was clearly signed, but I did not want to park illegally on double yellow lines by the chippie and I assumed that clamping did not apply to evenings when the area is totally empty of cars.
A total of £193.88 later, I wished that I had parked illegally then at least a ticket would have been cheaper. So a warning to all your readers, if you do not want to pay an extortionate amount (to two dodgy geezers in a tatty white van) for your fish supper, park elsewhere.
- 1 Pupil wins competition to name community space at former bus station
- 2 Man charged following North Herts armed robbery
- 3 Stevenage doctor 'filled with pride' after taking home national award
- 4 Nissan Qashqai damaged during Letchworth 'vandalism'
- 5 Patrols to be increased following alleged arson in Letchworth park
- 6 Coldplay, Sir Elton John and Queen tributes set to headline Todd in the Hole Festival 2023
- 7 When to put the clocks back as British Summer Time ends this month
- 8 Hatfield thief goes to prison days after receiving suspended sentence
- 9 Teenager's mountain bike stolen outside Hitchin McDonalds
- 10 Large amount of 'mindless damage' dealt to Hitchin estate