Expensive fish supper
SIR - Last week I had the most expensive fish and chips in Hitchin, and probably the UK come to think of it. No, it was not at a five star Michelin restaurant, nor was I short-changed when I came to pay. The truth of it was that I was clamped in the priv
SIR - Last week I had the most expensive fish and chips in Hitchin, and probably the UK come to think of it. No, it was not at a five star Michelin restaurant, nor was I short-changed when I came to pay.
The truth of it was that I was clamped in the private parking area behind the row of shops on Hermitage Road in Hitchin while nipping over to the chippie opposite.
I will admit I was totally in the wrong, as it was clearly signed, but I did not want to park illegally on double yellow lines by the chippie and I assumed that clamping did not apply to evenings when the area is totally empty of cars.
A total of £193.88 later, I wished that I had parked illegally then at least a ticket would have been cheaper. So a warning to all your readers, if you do not want to pay an extortionate amount (to two dodgy geezers in a tatty white van) for your fish supper, park elsewhere.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 5 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 9 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system
- 10 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'