Expensive fish supper
SIR - Last week I had the most expensive fish and chips in Hitchin, and probably the UK come to think of it. No, it was not at a five star Michelin restaurant, nor was I short-changed when I came to pay. The truth of it was that I was clamped in the priv
SIR - Last week I had the most expensive fish and chips in Hitchin, and probably the UK come to think of it. No, it was not at a five star Michelin restaurant, nor was I short-changed when I came to pay.
The truth of it was that I was clamped in the private parking area behind the row of shops on Hermitage Road in Hitchin while nipping over to the chippie opposite.
I will admit I was totally in the wrong, as it was clearly signed, but I did not want to park illegally on double yellow lines by the chippie and I assumed that clamping did not apply to evenings when the area is totally empty of cars.
A total of £193.88 later, I wished that I had parked illegally then at least a ticket would have been cheaper. So a warning to all your readers, if you do not want to pay an extortionate amount (to two dodgy geezers in a tatty white van) for your fish supper, park elsewhere.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Stevenage council: 'More flats will bring life to town'
- 2 Residents consulted on redevelopment of Letchworth's Hawksley bungalows
- 3 Cancelled school trip to red list Peru sees some students losing £2,250
- 4 Woman trapped in car after colliding with tree on A602
- 5 Hitchin Boys' teacher honoured with national award
- 6 'COVID can't stop us!' - Zimbabwe school fees raised with garden party after Stevenage Day cancelled
- 7 A602 remains partially shut in Stevenage after crash
- 8 Special needs school's urgent appeal for swim helpers
- 9 Stevenage schoolboy wins national chef award
- 10 H-Town Almost Unlocked to celebrate 'eclectic mix' of Hitchin retailers