Emission claims are not correct
SIR – You repeat (Comet, 9 November, page 47) the incorrect claim stated in Stevenage Borough Council s official press release that the new solar water heating system at their Daneshill House offices will reduce the council s annual carbon dioxide emissi
SIR - You repeat (Comet, 9 November, page 47) the incorrect claim stated in Stevenage Borough Council's official press release that the new solar water heating system at their Daneshill House offices will 'reduce the council's annual carbon dioxide emissions by 66%'.
In fact, it will do nothing so grand. It will merely reduce the fairly small amount of carbon dioxide emitted only by water heating systems, only in Daneshill House, by this proportion.
The many other carbon dioxide and other climate- change gas emissions from the many other energy uses by the council at their many other premises and by their many vehicles, and so on, will not be reduced.
The council's opposition Liberal Democrats have long since drawn attention to Stevenage council's poor record on green issues and encouraged green initiatives but, whilst we acknowledge that any progress is to be applauded, it is particularly annoying that, even though I pointed out this error to the council's officers as soon as I saw the press release two weeks ago, no correction was issued and your readers were therefore wrongly informed - hence this letter to clarify the facts.
You may also want to watch:
Leader of the Opposition, Stevenage Borough Council
- 1 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 2 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 5 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 9 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system
- 10 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'