Easy for mums
SIR – My fiancée and I have just had our first baby, a beautiful boy. We live with her mum and dad which is good for financial reasons, but are at the point in our lives where a bit of space is needed. We are registered with the housing as a couple but w
SIR - My fiancée and I have just had our first baby, a beautiful boy.
We live with her mum and dad which is good for financial reasons, but are at the point in our lives where a bit of space is needed. We are registered with the housing as a couple but will probably have to wait an eternity for anything.
Fair's fair, but last Thursday, when we went to have our son weighed, we both overheard a conversation where a single mum of an age that most would deem to be just out of nappies herself has been given a flat.
I work hard and pay my dues, but why should I pay extortionate rent to a private landlord, which is roughly between £500 - £600 a month. Then on top of that there's council tax, television licence, water, gas, and running a car.
It leaves you a bit short at the end of the month but does anyone give a stuff? It enrages me when you see people getting it all laid on at the taxpayer's expense and we get nothing back. The majority are pulling a fast one and are too lazy to go out and get a job because it is all too easy. This country stinks, the good people get shafted and the wastes of space get it all
- 1 Have your say on plans to redevelop The Forum in Stevenage
- 2 Letchworth pond tested and fish removed after animals found dead
- 3 Multiple homes burgled in Letchworth
- 4 Molly-Mae Hague announces pregnancy in adorable Instagram video
- 5 All the Thameslink routes which will run during the early October strike
- 6 Stevenage Railway Station: Normal train service resumes after major repairs
- 7 Baby Asian elephant calf named 'Queen' at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- 8 Standalone 10k keeps getting better and better says race boss
- 9 Over 55s invited to 'Ageing Together' event to improve housing needs
- 10 Stevenage stabbings: Three men suffer life-changing injuries