Easy for mums
SIR – My fiancée and I have just had our first baby, a beautiful boy. We live with her mum and dad which is good for financial reasons, but are at the point in our lives where a bit of space is needed. We are registered with the housing as a couple but w
SIR - My fiancée and I have just had our first baby, a beautiful boy.
We live with her mum and dad which is good for financial reasons, but are at the point in our lives where a bit of space is needed. We are registered with the housing as a couple but will probably have to wait an eternity for anything.
Fair's fair, but last Thursday, when we went to have our son weighed, we both overheard a conversation where a single mum of an age that most would deem to be just out of nappies herself has been given a flat.
I work hard and pay my dues, but why should I pay extortionate rent to a private landlord, which is roughly between £500 - £600 a month. Then on top of that there's council tax, television licence, water, gas, and running a car.
It leaves you a bit short at the end of the month but does anyone give a stuff? It enrages me when you see people getting it all laid on at the taxpayer's expense and we get nothing back. The majority are pulling a fast one and are too lazy to go out and get a job because it is all too easy. This country stinks, the good people get shafted and the wastes of space get it all
- 1 Men sentenced after guns and class A drugs uncovered at Ickleford property
- 2 Stevenage Pizza Hut closure prompts Nando's plans
- 3 Stevenage MP earns over £4,000 per month from other jobs
- 4 Woman on trial over bottles smashed in Aldi store
- 5 High winds stop Stevenage Christmas lights switch-on event
- 6 Former army major sentenced after pillion rider dies in motorcycle crash
- 7 Anti-spiking campaign launched at Old Town pub
- 8 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 9 Tens of thousands donated to charity by Hitchin-based construction company
- 10 Vegan market returns for final 2021 trade with festive twist