Drunks at the hospital
SIR - I found the Lister Hospital Accident and Emergency department appalling on a Friday/Saturday night. I was there with a two-year-old who had woken with sudden breathing difficulty, so I took him to A&E at 11pm and found that drunks from pubs and club
SIR - I found the Lister Hospital Accident and Emergency department appalling on a Friday/Saturday night.
I was there with a two-year-old who had woken with sudden breathing difficulty, so I took him to A&E at 11pm and found that drunks from pubs and clubs with broken hands through punching walls or each other were being seen before us.
There was also a young girl who had been out and had her drink spiked who was left in the waiting area and had not been seen before I left. We eventually were seen at 1.10am and my son only had croup, so it was nothing major but twice I had told the nurse his breathing was getting worse and had no acknowledgement from doctors.
I appreciate they are busy any day of the week but I find it ridiculous drunks and junkies get seen before others who are more vulnerable for less serious issues just to get them 'out of the way'.
You may also want to watch:
On another recent visit to A&E I had the same problem. I was bleeding quite heavily from a genuine accident and got seen after the pub rush on a week night. I was given a bowl to bleed into!! Should I get drunk and cause a scene next time I go to A&E just to get seen quicker??
- 1 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 2 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says council
- 3 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 4 Community fieldwalking to uncover Hitchin's Roman ruins hailed 'huge success'
- 5 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 6 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
- 7 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 8 Two schools' birthday celebrations can finally go ahead
- 9 Revealed: Stevenage pantomime cast members announced for Aladdin at the Gordon Craig Theatre
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images