Down in the dumps
SIR – Like many other people at this time of year I have just spent a couple of weekends spring cleaning. This, of course, resulted in several trips to the recycling centre at Blackhorse Road, Letchworth. Not having been there for some time I soon realise
SIR - Like many other people at this time of year I have just spent a couple of weekends spring cleaning.
This, of course, resulted in several trips to the recycling centre at Blackhorse Road, Letchworth. Not having been there for some time I soon realised that the layout had changed and different items had to be placed into various skips and containers.
What appalled me was the surly attitude of the staff and operatives towards members of the public. I am sorry I did not know that chipboard cannot be placed in the same container as wood, a few simple words would have been sufficient rather than the string of expletives muttered at my back. Maybe he is just having a bad day I thought, but having spoken to a few friends in the pub later that evening it appears I am not the first to be subjected to their unfriendly behaviour, in fact one lady was reluctant to go there at all.
Now I know that dealing with members of the public can be trying - I work in a busy supermarket - but come on, lads, we are all going to see more of you especially when the fortnightly refuse collecting begins and we have to recycle just about everything, so how about a little patience, a few well placed signs and, dare I say, a smile?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 Appeal to save Astonbury Wood is successful
- 3 Police officer's 'text book first aid' saves life of elderly man
- 4 Help transform overgrown land into outdoor classroom
- 5 Developer appointed for new Baldock neighbourhoods
- 6 Hundreds of council flats placed on 24-hour watch over fire concerns
- 7 Rotheram shines on dreary day as Datchworth dump Dunstable
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure following incident near splash park
- 9 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 10 No further action for teen arrested in connection with Christopher Hewett murder investigation
Letchworth Garden City