Down in the dumps
SIR – Like many other people at this time of year I have just spent a couple of weekends spring cleaning. This, of course, resulted in several trips to the recycling centre at Blackhorse Road, Letchworth. Not having been there for some time I soon realise
SIR - Like many other people at this time of year I have just spent a couple of weekends spring cleaning.
This, of course, resulted in several trips to the recycling centre at Blackhorse Road, Letchworth. Not having been there for some time I soon realised that the layout had changed and different items had to be placed into various skips and containers.
What appalled me was the surly attitude of the staff and operatives towards members of the public. I am sorry I did not know that chipboard cannot be placed in the same container as wood, a few simple words would have been sufficient rather than the string of expletives muttered at my back. Maybe he is just having a bad day I thought, but having spoken to a few friends in the pub later that evening it appears I am not the first to be subjected to their unfriendly behaviour, in fact one lady was reluctant to go there at all.
Now I know that dealing with members of the public can be trying - I work in a busy supermarket - but come on, lads, we are all going to see more of you especially when the fortnightly refuse collecting begins and we have to recycle just about everything, so how about a little patience, a few well placed signs and, dare I say, a smile?
You may also want to watch:
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 8 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 9 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system
- 10 Herts Cladiators take part in London rally against 'terrible injustice'
Letchworth Garden City