Doing work to a high standard
SIR – I write in response to the letter Paving is a Pain (2 November 2006). The new yellow canopy outside Primark is part of the nearly completed improvements to the town centre, which are jointly funded by ASDA and Stevenage Borough Council. The canop
SIR - I write in response to the letter 'Paving is a Pain' (2 November 2006).
The new yellow canopy outside Primark is part of the nearly completed improvements to the town centre, which are jointly funded by ASDA and Stevenage Borough Council.
The canopy replaces one of the old covered walkways that was rotting away and becoming a safety hazard. It has provided a much-needed streak of colour to an area of the town centre that was starting to look tired and in need of attention and we've already had a lot of positive comments from the public.
We expect a high standard of work from our contractors and we weren't happy with the quality during the early phases of the scheme, so some sections of paving have been re-laid, using a new contractor that was appointed for the later phases.
You may also want to watch:
The improved areas, consisting of new street furniture, lighting, paving, planting and signage, will look spectacular once the work is complete and the new lights turned on. This is expected to be within the next few weeks in time for the Christmas shopping period.
We are committed to improving the town centre by providing high quality public spaces for shoppers, residents and retailers, and believe that this £1.7 million scheme will give a much-needed boost to the town centre.
- 1 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 2 Shop employee shaken after knifepoint robbery
- 3 Calls for extra hands to help uncover history-defining Roman bathhouse
- 4 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 5 Arsonist jailed for 10 years after setting 'terrifying' house fire
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Boy, 13, subjected to distressing indecent exposure at leisure centre
- 8 Consultation opens on plans for 200 flats on Office Outlet site
- 9 Bedfordshire schools mark move to two-tier system
- 10 Arrest made after man in his 40s dies in A505 crash tragedy
We're also really excited about plans for a multi-million pound town centre redevelopment scheme, and look forward to showing people the plans early next year. It's something very special for local people and will really help to put Stevenage on the map.
Stevenage Borough Council Regeneration Manager