Different views on post office
Your headline regarding the Letchworth post office reads Service level is appalling . I do not understand why you should be appalled since the brutal and arrogant treatment of the public by the Post Office is to be expected from an organisation which, fo
Your headline regarding the Letchworth post office reads "Service level is appalling".
I do not understand why you should be appalled since the brutal and arrogant treatment of the public by the Post Office is to be expected from an organisation which, following directives from the EU, has ceased to be a public service and is merely a monopolistic money-making operation structured for the enrichment of its directors and senior managers.
What does appal me is the abuse of the English language by Tony Marsh, of Post Office Ltd, in his quoted self-justifying statements. Do McColls really have issues? Was the move really generated by an inability to keep up the site? Did the conversion happen?
I shall be submitting his entire statement to the Plain English Campaign, proposing an award for the worst example of gobbledygook by an official in 2007.
You may also want to watch:
PETER ROBBINS, Meadow Cottages, Caldecote, Baldock
* Further to your article about the new Letchworth Post Office at McColls, I would like to say that in my opinion the level of service is far from appalling but in fact exceptionally good.
- 1 Letchworth BID responds after manager unexpectedly jailed
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Christopher Hewett: Teenage boys found guilty of murder and manslaughter
- 4 Tributes to Poppy Appeal stalwart and 'true gentleman' Les Mortimer
- 5 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 6 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 7 Walk-in vaccine slots available this week
- 8 Weather warning for rain on the horizon after scorching heatwave
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
I use McColls Post Office on average three days a week to post large quantities of parcels. In all the time since it has been open, there has only been one member of staff that I found to be unhelpful and poorly trained.
All other members of staff are always helpful, polite, friendly and certainly know what they are doing. I think that they put up with a lot of grumpy customers that take out their grumbles about the Post Office move on the new staff. I have seen this happen first hand and 95 per cent of the staff handle the abuse in a professional and courteous manner. They are also polite and try to help the best they can and defuse the situation. As for waiting in line for 25 minutes (which is extremely rare), we all had to do this at the old Post Office, so no change there then. Thumbs up from me, guys, you are doing just fine!
Miss CHARLEY GALER, Hillshot, Letchworth Garden City