Did you see the Stones at Stevenage Locarno back in 1964? Author wants your stories 50 years on
- Credit: Archant
Did you see Mick Jagger, baby, standing in Stevenage town centre? That’s the question being asked by author Richard Houghton.
Richard is writing a book about the early live appearances by the band which has carried on rolling ever since.
Richard said: “The Rolling Stones played the Locarno Ballroom in Stevenage on April 1, 1964.
“They had just had their first Top 10 hit with Not Fade Away and they were to follow this with a string of number ones including It’s All Over Now, The Last Time and (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction.
“To mark the 50th anniversary of the Stevenage gig I’m asking people to get in touch with their memories to be included in a book I’m writing about the band’s early concerts.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m interested to hear from anyone who went to the concert – who they went with, what they remember – and if they have any photos of themselves or souvenirs from the gig stored away in a cupboard somewhere.
“The band featured Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts along with founding member Brian Jones, who died in 1969, and Bill Wyman.
- 1 Arrests made after assault leaves victim with lacerations to the head
- 2 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 3 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 4 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 5 Custodial sentence 'sends strong message' to those carrying knives
- 6 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 7 Hitchin Beer and Cider Festival in pictures
- 8 Ambulance called to crash between motorcycle and van in Stevenage
- 9 Hospice volunteers mark Churchgate Day on the catwalk with vintage fashion show
- 10 You Me At Six to play headline show at Hatfield's Slam Dunk Festival site
“I’m hoping Comet readers can paint a picture of what it was like to be a concertgoer in 1960s Britain.”
If you’ve got memories to share, email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to him at 32 Manor Avenue, Preston, PR2 8DN.