Delight at new outdoor space
A children’s centre has a new outdoor area to enjoy
A FANTASTIC new outdoor area to explore can now be enjoyed by families attending the Chestnut Tree Children’s Centre in Letchworth GC.
That’s thanks to the hard work of Groundwork Hertfordshire’s staff team.
Twenty-eight of them got together to transform the outdoor space at the centre from an open green area into an interactive learning environment containing a sensory garden, pergola, new pathway and natural play features.
Groundwork staff worked throughout the day digging, planting, laying decking and a gravel pathway, creating mosaic sculptures and installing a pergola with a bamboo wall.
You may also want to watch:
Michaela Nobbs, nursery nurse of the Opportunities Class at the centre, was astounded at what Groundwork staff were able to achieve in one day. “The effort that Groundwork has put in and the enthusiasm shown by all the staff is incredible,” she said.
“The outdoor area will be of huge importance to families of the centre, as many of them do not have access to a garden at home. The Opportunities Class welcomes children with special needs from all over Hertfordshire, and the sensory garden in particular will be a great way for them to interact with nature. We are so, so grateful for Groundwork’s hard work.”
- 1 I went to Stevenage Charter Fair for the first time, and here's what I thought
- 2 Teaching assistant celebrates 50 years of working at school
- 3 GP surgery blamed for young cancer victim's late diagnosis
- 4 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 5 Stevenage has 'no money left' for new special needs children, says county council
- 6 Appeal after dog attack in Stevenage park
- 7 Stevenage Charter Fair returns to town next week
- 8 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 9 Still no justice for paramedic killed in 2018 crash
- 10 Woman taken to hospital after medical incident in town centre
Kathy Burgess, Chestnut Tree Children’s Centre manager for the Pre-School Learning Alliance, was delighted with the transformation.
“The garden is an invaluable resource for the families and early years providers in our community, developing children’s physical skills as well as providing them with sensory experiences and good health and well being. Groundwork has done a fabulous job.”
Groundwork is an environmental regeneration charity that works with all sectors of communities throughout Hertfordshire to improve the local environment and create sustainable communities.